Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

WWYD? Holding daycare spots.

How far advance would you take a deposit to hold a daycare spot?? I take a two-week deposit which is applied to the last two weeks of care and usually do not take this and hold a spot no more than three months before they are to start.

But because of the new bill 10 rules and all the parents realizing that caregivers now have only two 1yr old spots and not five, I think they are panicking. I have had four emails this week with moms who all need care next June for their one-year-old.

I have a spot open and want to fill it but in my mind was thinking April or May, I would be interviewing. Should I be telling them to contact me again in April or May or should I go ahead with these interviews?

I think it's way too far ahead to take a deposit now for next June but the other side of me is thinking what if I wait to April and May and all those families have firmed up with another daycare because I wouldn't meet with them now and then I can't fill my spot what would you do?

Most of the moms have a child that will be one next June so they are 5mths now. But I had one mom contact me who is only four months pregnant but needs care next June and her baby will only be six weeks old. She is self-employed so has no Mat leave. Again it's fine with me I take newborns because I love that age and I have the spot but it just seems weird to interview with a pregnant mom.....lol

Euphoric !
    Why not do the interviews. Then pick your fav family and charge a $100 fee to hold it until a set time when the rest of the 2 week fee is due to officially confirm the spot? That means they commit to you but aren't out the full money just yet.

That said...you are likely fine to charge the full 2 week. Just make sure you don't spend it just in case.

I am advertising for a 2+ yr old and get so many responses for 1yr olds for next year. It is crazy. I do think you are right, they are in fear of not finding someone so are looking now.

I don't think you would have that much trouble still finding a spot next spring..there will still be plenty of 1yr olds without care.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would take their names and out them on your waitlist. You said yourself, these spots are hard to come by so you won't have a hard time filling it.

Too much can happen in 6 mos. The parent could decide to extend their mat leave, they could loose their job or choose to move etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    opps wrong post! Will move it!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by babydom View Post
    How far advance would you take a deposit to hold a daycare spot?? I take a two-week deposit which is applied to the last two weeks of care and usually do not take this and hold a spot no more than three months before they are to start.

But because of the new bill 10 rules and all the parents realizing that caregivers now have only two 1yr old spots and not five, I think they are panicking. I have had four emails this week with moms who all need care next June for their one-year-old.

I have a spot open and want to fill it but in my mind was thinking April or May, I would be interviewing. Should I be telling them to contact me again in April or May or should I go ahead with these interviews?

I think it's way too far ahead to take a deposit now for next June but the other side of me is thinking what if I wait to April and May and all those families have firmed up with another daycare because I wouldn't meet with them now and then I can't fill my spot what would you do?

Most of the moms have a child that will be one next June so they are 5mths now. But I had one mom contact me who is only four months pregnant but needs care next June and her baby will only be six weeks old. She is self-employed so has no Mat leave. Again it's fine with me I take newborns because I love that age and I have the spot but it just seems weird to interview with a pregnant mom.....lol
    I would do it and take deposit and signed contract but require earlier start. If you explain you taking big risk trusting that she really going to return work and so you require mid-April/early May start, will that help?

Locally, Sept is a horrible time to fill places. Lot of carer here still trying to find replacement for child who aged out to school. Little reply to ads.

I knew one of mine was going school and I contracted for replacement last November! Mom was still pregnant. The agreement we had was once the current child left for school, she would pay for place. She could use it FT or PT. She could take few weeks for herself before end mat leave. She could go back work early. But if she wanted space for sure, she had contract for it and pay for it. They did pay deposit in Nov 2014 and sign contract. And they did come when child aged out.

I would do this way again if could. It much less stressful knowing place full.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 11-06-2015 at 01:41 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

If the spot doesn't open until close to when the clients want it I:
    Take a deposit, have then sign a contract, have then sign my Spot Reservation Agreement (which states that if the spot opens up sooner then they have to either pay a holding fee of $100/week, start care early or forfeit the spot.)

I also have a waiting list for those who are not ready to sign on.

If the spot is open now I would:
    Get a deposit, Have contract signed, get a holding fee of $100/week for 13 weeks then full fee until the date they want to start.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I care for int/toddlers so I often hear from preg Moms - it always seems so far in advance as anything could happen but one Mom kept in touch after the visit while preg and became a very good client so I suggest to see them and feel them out and keep in touch with them and if you love the baby stage go for that one

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post: