Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Also wondering!!

Expansive...
    Why don't you take 3-6 months of post dated payments. No pay, no stay. Turn her away at the door. Start looking for a new client. Payment issues this early is a big red flag.

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cindydaycare View Post
    Hello, I am in need of a little advice as I am unsure how to approach this issue with a new client.

I just started a new client last week and am having issues regarding payment from parents end.

She required care immediately, we had an interview saturday and already brought her child to me monday. I emailed her the contract to read over during the weekend so she could sign it first thing monday morning at drop off time. Which she did.

In the contract it stated that I did require payment in advance for 2 weeks and when payments were due. Monday came and she asked me if she could pay me friday for that week of care. I agreed but then said that I would require payment for that week and the following 2 weeks. Thursday yet again she asked me how much I owed her. I gave her a breakdown and a total. My total included last week and the following two weeks. Came friday and she paid me, BUT ONLY FOR THAT WEEK OF CARE, NOT 2 WEEKS IN ADVANCE AS WELL AS I ASKED. I accepted the payment but then nicely reminded her I needed the advanced payment for the following two weeks monday.

I am truly having a feeling monday she will not pay me again and just want to pay me at the end of each week. I would rather have advanced payment as I fear a customer dropping off their child for care and then one day just not showing up and I haven't received payment (this happened very recently to a friend of mine)

How would you handle this situation?
    I have already deviated from my contract too many times, if she's not respecting the contract then what's the point of even having or signing one?
    I am thinking of sending her a text message tonight and reminding that I need payment tomorrow...

Thank you, advice would be greatly appreciated.
    After she hands you her payment on Friday, that's the time to talk to her and put emphasis on the contract that was signed.

Maybe the lady doesn't have money enough to pay for 2 weeks in advance, plus the current week. She could be living from pay cheque to pay cheque....we never know.

If you're willing to bend for her.....you could accept an advance of one week to be paid on two consecutive weeks or (pay day weeks). Insist to get paid on Mondays - before rendering any service.
    But make sure to let her know that on Monday, if you don't get at least one week advance payment (plus the payment for that week), you'll be forced not to accept her child.
    Do the same on the next agreed date of payment.

You should at the very least, insist on getting paid before you render any service, otherwise not only is there a possibility that you won't get two weeks notice, it is also possible that you will have to chase her for payment for services already rendered.

It is a possible that she will not show up at all after that talk.
    Last edited by betsy; 11-11-2015 at 04:52 AM.

Shy
    I ask for a deposit for this reason. I require 1 week payment to register for a spot and then another 1 week payment within the first week of care. I'm paid biweekly on Fridays by the end of the day. I give them an invoice the Monday of that week. I also have a sign that I put up Friday morning that is red and says payday!

Specific to your issue, if she doesn't have the money on Monday I would refuse care until she does or you make some sort of arrangement.

Euphoric !
    How did it go?

Shy
    Wow, first of all I'd like to thank you all for all the responses, your input definitely boosted my confidence in order to approach the customer.

She came on monday and had payment only for that day, said that by pick up time she would have the payment for the 2 weeks. I agreed to have her child for the day and told her only because she had the payment for the day would I agree to do it. At pick up she did have the money for the two weeks.

I talked to her and she said it would be easier to give me advance payment for one week at a time. I agreed although upset that she would agree to a contract that she knew she wouldn't keep even after I mentioned if there are any troubles and concerns with the contract she could talk to me about it. SO I had to reprint and get the new contract signed.

So everything is ok.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cindydaycare For This Useful Post: