Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Only an hour nap?

Recently took a new DCB into care and he only naps about an hour to an hour and a half max per day. He's 12 months old and I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do. He is very very disruptive when he wakes up and wakes everyone else up. Ive never had any issues with 12 months olds not wanting to nap. Any words of advise would be great! If he has a morning nap he sleeps 40mins and then may nap 30mins in the afternoon. Please help! making for long days!

Euphoric !
    Cut out morning nap, put him in a different room. My new girl who started in sept only napped an hour -hour and a half for mom at home. It took about a month for her to get on our routine. I let her cry it out. Now she sleeps the full 2-2.5 hours.

I had a boy once that no matter what was up after an hour. Drove me nuts. I would just sit down and he would wake up. I just let him come sit on the couch with books and he was fine. Luckily he only stayed for 3 months but it was a long 3 months
    Last edited by mickyc; 11-10-2015 at 01:39 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I don't believe in cutting out morning naps completely just so they sleep longer in the afternoon IF a morning nap is still needed. You could try phasing the morning nap out and see if he can make it until afternoon nap and hopefully he naps your full time like the other kids. If you find that he's still tired, cranky, whiny, cries before lunch etc, than I would suggest putting him down for a quick 20-30 mins right when he gets to daycare and see if that helps. I've done this in the past and always woke them before 930. This helped with their crankiness/tiredness but still gave a few hours to play hard and tire out again before afternoon nap. I have a 2.5 year old who still sometimes needs a 10-15 catnap when she's cranky and still sleeps 2 hours in the afternoon.

Good luck!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Yeah I have phased out the morning nap since last week thinking it would help but still only an hour and i think maybe twice he's napped an hour and a half. If I get him up from nap he still cries and whines and wakes the rest of the kids up with his shriek of a cry.

Euphoric !
    Give it time. My new little one took almost a month. I think she was used to mom going in when she cried. Once she realized I wasn't coming in she stayed sleeping

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    Give it time. My new little one took almost a month. I think she was used to mom going in when she cried. Once she realized I wasn't coming in she stayed sleeping
    Agree with this. They eventually just learn how long nap time is and their bodies adjust. I find that sometimes if a parent gets them when they cry after one sleep cycle then they are just trained to wake up. I train them all to sleep the whole nap period.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Is there a room you can put him in? Shut the door, put a towel near the bottom if there's an opening, put a noise machine in his room (the other kids too!) and let him CIO? It might take awhile but he should hopefully learn how to self soothe soon and go back to sleep?

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I also find alot of kids these days are just over tired and therefore don't sleep well when it's time to.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I have a child that started in Oct and Mom said she only sleeps for an hour than sleeps all night so I was not looking forward to nap time - but it took a month and she did sleep for longer as Mickyc said so hold on

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Many kids are only capable to sleep one sleep cycle because that is all they do at home. Parents rush in and haven't allowed the child to learn how to go back to sleep. They ping awake after one sleep cycle and are used to that being all. It takes lots of time to untrain that. It is the best thing you can do for a child.

It baffles me why families that claim to want only the best for their child and smoother then with everything but then have zero expectations for sleep...which along with food is just so incredibly essential for brain development, growth and behavior. Gahhhhhh

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post: