Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

How far apart to start new kids?

When opening a new daycare, how far apart should one bring in kids? For example, if the plan is to have 5 children, should they all start around the same time or should I spread it out (and by how much)?

It's up to you nd what u can handle. I start all at the same time. I have had two start at the same time it doesn't matter to me. But some prefer to get one in and settle over a couple of wks or a mth. Then introduce another new child in.

Expansive...
    2 new kids is my limit at one time as 3 seems too many

Outgoing
    When I started, I had one by herself for almost a month before the other 5 started. Then they all came the same week. It was chaotic! I wasn't new to looking after kids, but new to running the show myself. And I did things that I quickly realised were not working. Like letting them play in the sleep room during the morning. I soon put a stop to that because then would play in there instead of napping too. Live and learn. Now I like to stagger start days. Our routine is well established, (10 years in) but I am finding more of the kids have a longer transition period so it helps to space them out.

Euphoric !
    When I started, I had two come same day but phased others two week apart. Now, I prefer to stagger start date but if it September replacing aging out child, sometime that not possible. I wouldn't like more than 2 to start same day, I think.

Expansive...
    I once did (2) 12 month olds eaxctly at the same time. It was horrendous! They were supposed to be 2 weeks apart, but one parent moved the start date. Never again! It depends on the age of the kids, and if they've had previous daycare experience with routines/separation etc. I'd stagger them by 2 weeks if possible.

Euphoric !
    When I first opened, 3 started at same time but one I had previously nannied for so it wasn't too bad. The 4th came a bit later. It was chaotic but they were also young and it was winter. It was hard to get outside

Now, I normally only have to transition one at a time when a spot opens up

Euphoric !
    I started with all mine at the exact same time. Worked out fine

Euphoric !
    I would stagger about a month apart

Euphoric !
    I just go by when I have an opening and can fill it. I would rather have a few chaotic days then lose a family who really couldn't wait another week to start. It will always be crazy when a new child starts and upsets the group dynamics.

At the same time now that I have many years experience it is easier to make the changes and let them start as needed. When first starting out I would take it slow and do two at a time then add in another one about 3 weeks apart till you are full. Then you will get used to that group and able to change them out as needed.