Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    I think Suzie is right. What is your goal here.

Are you looking to be full or are you looking to stand by the policies you have in your last province? If you want to fill up quickly then you will need to adapt to the local ways. It doesn't how right you are in requesting a deposit if this is not the norm for your new area then you will struggle to find families willing to pay a deposit. If your local area is all accustomed to easy, unhealthy food then most likely won't pay extra for healthier meals. Some will, but it will mean long time to fill up.

So, do you NEED to be full NOW? If so, adjust your ways...build that reputation of being a home daycare parents trust then make the changes you want to get back to how you ran in your old province.

It is MUCH easier to justify to parents that you want a deposit if you have been full and are filling a future spot then if you are new and empty.

It sucks...but it is the reality of your new area.
    If you do not need to be full right away then just wait it out.

Euphoric !
    Lady who want care in 2017 is never going pay deposit. I think even in big city in other province, few provider would expect. Fact you pregnant and hold space is not parent issue. Person looking for care more than 12 month away, with option of centre near by, is really just looking at options. They not know if child healthy, if they going back work, or anything at this time.

Would you pay deposit to anyone for something you might want in 2017? I not think so.

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    I understand - and I not saying you should change your way. I just saying that it will be harder to establish daycare because of the historic mindset of islander and explain why.

I agree it not overboard ask for deposit - I do - but if no one agree or willing to pay it, it not matter if you and I think it reasonable requirement, if your community not in agreement, it not going to happen, until you have proven reputation, especial if you only one with deposit it in your area. This why I suggest it key to know what your competition doing. When you know what others do and charge, it easier to explain why your fee different because you know what in your service is different. But you have to explain it in way not to belittle lower fee provider and their service because chance are, they have connection to other person and not like implication of friend or family providing lower service.

I agree it not far to compare the casual $20 day people to others but again, it not matter what you and I think, if your community has 20 people charging $20 day and that's what the market value is seemed to be. It take time to educate people about differences and even then, some not really care. That their choice as the parent.

I charge $35 a day. I charge based on day registered not attend. I charge deposit that go toward last week of care. I charge 10 personal day each year. I charge for all stat and public holiday and closed. I not take short term client and I do much what you want do. I take 5 client children. I have private daycare page for document, photo, activity plan, and I have public page for general public too.

But my point is this not happen overnight. Whether or not I like it, people want know me, people want proven track record, some people would never pay my fee.

I just trying explain to you what challenges might be - I not saying you wrong want to do things way you want do them. Since you have wide network of young parent, lived here before and know what island life is like, offer more than centres - then you have to assess why you finding hard to fill places - and that might mean either some bending toward parent expectation. My husband would say - Do you want to be right or do you want vacancy fill? It fine to have standard, policies, boundaries, expectation, but if your business model is such you have no customer, maybe time to see if you are fitting your market. That all I mean.
    Thank you, Suzie!

I appreciate all of your feedback and completely agree
    I think I am a bit defensive, because in my personal experience there has been a lack of professionalism and boundaries here. The excuse is always "they're islanders and it's laid back". Don't get me wrong, I love it here and have amazing friends from the island, but I also feel that's a blunt statement for the island.

I really do want to increase my enrollement, but I guess what I was trying to say, I will not sacrifice quality, boundaries or substantial income to be competitive. I know my name has been passed around a few times for care, but to part-timers.
    I will have to wait and ride it out

Do you mind me asking what part of the island your in?

Shy
    Lady who want care in 2017 is never going pay deposit. I think even in big city in other province, few provider would expect. Fact you pregnant and hold space is not parent issue. Person looking for care more than 12 month away, with option of centre near by, is really just looking at options. They not know if child healthy, if they going back work, or anything at this time.
    Would you pay deposit to anyone for something you might want in 2017? I not think so.
    Yes, I would. It's quite common in other provinces for private and centre care. Infant spots are hard to come by. If you want a say as to the environment your infant is in, you pay a deposit. Why would someone hold a spot only for you to change your mind and then the caregiver ends up with no one?

I held spots with a two week deposit consistently since 2009 and it has never been a problem. It's an expectation of the parent. People in Ontario are wait listed when pregnant or with a young infant.

Shy
    I am not asking for a deposit from every family, as stated I only enforced it for the family who wants to hold a spot for a year.

As stated in my comments, the policies I am referring to are boundaries and not adding people to my personal Facebook, which again isn't a rule that needs to be bent.

I am not charging more because I provide healthy meals, I was stating what I was providing for care. I charge $30/day, which is five dollars cheaper than a centre for under two.

My opinion of full is three children, I do not go to the mass,. So I am looking to be full for me, not for the provincial ratio.

Just to add, I haven't made mention of a deposit to any of the parents in PEI except this lady and I've lowered my price by $20/day to be competitive in this area. I have no idea what other providers charge in this area, other than the ones that advertise. These people are not comparable to me because they're looking at making a few extra bucks and not proving group childcare. That's what I was trying to get across.
    Last edited by islander; 11-15-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Euphoric !
    Lot parent come to carer through word mouth. When new this not tool you have available. If limited people experienced your care, only way to check you out is come for tour. It like going to open house viewing when not planning to move. Sometimes it nice to be nosy and see what that high priced home is like inside even if it not in our budget. When we get inside and see it lovely home and everything we wish for, it does not mean we able or willing to buy it.

If you charge more than other dayhome near you, then have to accept it not in everyone budget. It not matter that they can see your service is better, food better, program better - if it outside their budget they can't afford.

Not every family with child is potential client. This true for all us. Some of family already have carer they love so it only family who not have carer or not happy with carer who potential client. Our location, hours, policy, fees, personality, all remove people from the potential client's. If they think us more expensive, less flexible, that also take people away. This is fine when you have big client pool available and small number of space to fill. But when you have only handful client left in client pool, it is problem.

Shy
    Quote Originally Posted by superfun View Post
    Could you change your Facebook privacy setting? If they can't search for you, then they can't try to add you. Try to make your personal facebook almost invisible.
    I thought I did
    I am not sure what else I can change. You literally can only see my profile picture if it comes up in a search. I believe this is why I've had a lot of attempted adds so they can see more of my profile. I've even had a mom ask me what my name was on Facebook so she could look me up and where my husband is employed.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Thank you, Suzie!

I appreciate all of your feedback and completely agree
    I think I am a bit defensive, because in my personal experience there has been a lack of professionalism and boundaries here. The excuse is always "they're islanders and it's laid back". Don't get me wrong, I love it here and have amazing friends from the island, but I also feel that's a blunt statement for the island.

I really do want to increase my enrollement, but I guess what I was trying to say, I will not sacrifice quality, boundaries or substantial income to be competitive. I know my name has been passed around a few times for care, but to part-timers.
    I will have to wait and ride it out

Do you mind me asking what part of the island your in?
    There will always be lack of boundaries in smaller communities but don't confuse lack of formal process as always being lack of professionalism. It not that people islanders and laid back is blunt statement - it reality that we rely on each other so friendship extended to all and for non business owners it can seem overly formal having paperwork trail for our friends and neighbors. It very blurred line so easy for people confuse formal process as offhandness.

I am in Kings county.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 11-15-2015 at 11:14 AM.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by islander View Post
    Why would someone hold a spot only for you to change your mind and then the caregiver ends up with no one?
    The flip side this is why would someone hold a spot for whole year if service good as they claim they would expect fill much sooner and not lose whole year income.

People in Ontario are wait listed when pregnant or with a young infant.
    Not here but I am in small community. Here people start looking about 2 weeks before they want start. That said, we know who had baby lately, they know who offer care.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 11-15-2015 at 11:13 AM.

Shy
    The flip side this is why would someone hold a spot for whole year if service good as they claim they would expect fill much sooner and not lose whole year income.

Not here but I am in small community. Here people start looking about 2 weeks before they want start. That said, we know who had baby lately, they know who offer care.
    Well as stated, one of those spots I was holding because I am due to have a baby in March. She and anyone else inquiring about childcare knows I m having a baby and do not keep at full capacity.