Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy?

Expansive...
    Also add a crying kid into the mix and she is upsetting all the kids so they all end up crying- Just another day at daycare,......... another day another dollar

Euphoric !
    I definitely have moments/days where I find this job hard but for the most part, it's fantastic! I think it also depends on what your past employment was like. For myself, I would much rather take this jobs pros and cons instead of my previous 2 places of employment. (One was a poorly run dc centre and the other was an overworked, under appreciated healthcare living area) The other 2 places I worked (different dc centre and a different area of that same healthcare place) showed me that I could be happy with these jobs but that there were so many other variables than just the money and benefits. I knew that I needed out of those places if I wanted to be happy.

OP, I think if you've thought about it and considered all the pros and cons of both staying where you are and opening a hdc and you feel that a hdc is what would make you happiest, than you should go for it!! This industry needs more people who WANT to be in it versus just those that feel stuck/that this is all they can do. I'm really passionate about my chosen career and wish more would view it as important as it is. We are helping develop early minds and are co-raising these children to become productive, responsible, caring adults!! We need to be the best cheerleader/motivator/educator they can have!!

People tend to associate success with money but that's just not the case...IMO anyways Life is so much more than just what your wage is. Do what makes you feel good, proud and happy! Believe in yourself and you can do it!!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by Van View Post
    I went to ECE in Toronto and on the first night a woman said she was leaving a good job at a BANK to open up her own daycare and the Teacher said NO DON'T DO IT !!!!!'
    Also the weather is a big factor in this job as it is a cold windy wet day in BC- How is it where you are?
    We definitely get cold winters here, but are used to it - you just bundle up real warm.

So other than 5 Little Monkeys, it seems like no one is real happy with their job? That's so sad. When I hear about difficult children and difficult parents, it honestly doesn't phase me. I deal with difficult people everyday in my work. It's all about how you handle it, trial and error, having a good support system and finding ways to not let it get to you. I don't think there's any job out there that doesn't have its pros and cons. I know people who makes six figures, have 6 weeks of vacation time, and seem to have it all who are absolutely miserable in their jobs. I guess I just see so many more pros than cons when it comes to daycare. But it does worry me when other daycare providers think that it's a bit crazy for me to think about doing this...

Euphoric !
    I left a very promising career as a child and family therapist to open a home daycare 3 years a go. I did it because I really wanted to be home with my girls who were both daycare aged. I have actually loved it. It is extremely challenging and all my years working with children couldn't have prepared me for the job. I am extremely organized and love to do programming and although these skills have come in very handy, I still feel sometimes like I am just treading water with all the work that is involved. This job can be very draining and it requires you to always "be on." I have one of those "go, go go" personalities and I am the person at my previous job that wouldn't take a lunch but keep working and was always doing something. That being said, I find this job pretty exhausting at times. I have learned as I have gone how to make things better e.g. doing most of my cleaning during daycare hours etc but the hours are still long. I agree that although you get to be with your kids, the quality of time spent is not the same as when 1:1. My eldest found it very difficult to share me and her behaviour could be pretty horrible at times as a result. She is now in school and I can't attend any of her field trips or in class activities because I knew it wouldn't "fly" with my clients. I have been very fortunate and have had amazing parents in my daycare (with few exceptions) and I know they respect and care about me. I am 6 mos pregnant and I do not think I will reopen after my mat leave with my new little one. I have enjoyed this but I think with Bill 10 and just pure exhaustion I will look into something else. I am torn because I don't want to place my child in daycare after the year so this is something I will have to figure out!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Momma L- don't confuse people warning you not to go into the field as people not liking the job. I think they are looking at it from the perspective of this job is a lot harder than people realize and they are just warning you.

It can be hard to get an exit strategy with this job and I would worry about you reentering the workforce. I say this mainly because the profession is not respected. I look at job listings when I have a bad day but I'll be honest nothing else has appealed to me. My husband thinks I like it more than I realize which may be true. Sometimes when you're in it it can be hard to see all the good aspects of the job. But like I said, I do like my job but I think I am recognizing it is time for a change.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Certainly not trying to interrogate you :-) I do believe that before one takes such a big move they need to consider everything and when we are left to our own thoughts we can often make our future dream all rosy and pink and pretty and sometimes need someone to bring the realities into sight for us to consider too!

Any chance your current job would allow a 1 yr sabbatical. No pay, but the chance to return in a year if this isn't working for you?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    Certainly not trying to interrogate you :-) I do believe that before one takes such a big move they need to consider everything and when we are left to our own thoughts we can often make our future dream all rosy and pink and pretty and sometimes need someone to bring the realities into sight for us to consider too!

Any chance your current job would allow a 1 yr sabbatical. No pay, but the chance to return in a year if this isn't working for you?
    That's a good point Lee Bee. I actually did that with my job as a safety net. I took a year leave without pay to test the waters and ended up staying on for another 2 yrs.

Shy
    Hi all, I have not posted in a very long time, but do come on to read once in a while. I feel the need to put my 2 cents in here.
    I started hdc in 1989, yup, before some of you were born I did not have children yet, but had gone for my ece and thought it was a good idea when we bought a house. As others have said, there are highs and lows in this job. It is wearing on your body and mind. Burnout happens often. I am in my 50's now, my children are young adults, one in uni, one finished and starting own business. My point is both my children grew up in a daycare and both have said it wasn't great. They had to share me all day, at night I was so tired of "playing" I had nothing left for my kids. My kids did not have after school activities because I just couldn't get them there (it is good to hear most of you are managing that aspect!). Daycare was good for me, but not for my kids. So if you are starting hdc to be home with your kids, they may appreciate it more if you spend quality time with them after an outside job. If you open a daycare keep up your other skills! You likely do not want to be 50ish and struggling to lug kids around, with no other options.
    I have enjoyed my daycare years, I have helped to raise over 240 kids. I also wish I had spent more quality time with my kids, they grow up fast
    Sorry, this sounds so down, I am experiencing burnout yet again. Think carefully about the impact on your family. It could be a great experience, it
    may not.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babywhisperer For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaL View Post
    We definitely get cold winters here, but are used to it - you just bundle up real warm.

So other than 5 Little Monkeys, it seems like no one is real happy with their job? That's so sad. When I hear about difficult children and difficult parents, it honestly doesn't phase me. I deal with difficult people everyday in my work. It's all about how you handle it, trial and error, having a good support system and finding ways to not let it get to you. I don't think there's any job out there that doesn't have its pros and cons. I know people who makes six figures, have 6 weeks of vacation time, and seem to have it all who are absolutely miserable in their jobs. I guess I just see so many more pros than cons when it comes to daycare. But it does worry me when other daycare providers think that it's a bit crazy for me to think about doing this...
    I think it will also depend on your personality. I am, for the most part, a "glass half full" type. I try to see the best in everything and look at ways that I can address the situation to make everyone happy. (Or at least the majority happy lol) If I'm having a crappy day due to a child or parents, I remind myself that I CHOSE this job. Like any other job, there are of course issues but I need to suck it up and deal with it as best as I can. It's easy to complain about our current situation but forget the issues we had in previous jobs. For myself, I have never worked in a place that would allow me to leave to attend my children's (if I had any lol) functions so if/when I have kids, I will already be used to that. Sure, it was easier to take time off before (with pay and I had a replacement) but there was also limitations (seniority got first dibs, only one week at a time, summer time was limited etc) With owning my own business I get to decide when and how long I want to take off. I get to decide my hours. I get to decide my pay. I get a 2 hour break every day. I get to have a lazy day if I want. I get to do what I want when I want (within reason!)

Yes, this job is exhausting but so are many other jobs! For myself, this job is more mentally exhausting than physical like at my old job.....and for me, I prefer that. I also needed that. I was killing my back at my old job and now, I can take it easy when needed without feeling like I'm letting my coworkers pick up my slack.

Every one is different so there is no easy or right answer. Just do what you feel is best for YOU and your family!! Good luck to you either way

Euphoric !
    Personally I would not do it if I was you. I totally agree with MsBell.

I began this job when my daughter was 8 months old. Like everything I do I give it my all. I have been doing it for over 5 years now and I know I am soon ready to move on. I won't just take any job as I don't hate what I do but I do know I am not in this for the long haul.

The money is good, I love the write offs every year, I for the most part enjoy the kids.

I do crave more though. I do look forward to the day I get my home back! When I clean it and it stays that way. Now that my daughter is in school I feel like my job gets in the way of things sometimes. My previous job was very flexible so it's hard to not have that. I don't want my career choice to affect my daughter and it already has. I have no desire for play dates, I do not take my nieces because I don't want additional children on my off time. I work when I am sick, take minimal time off etc.

I am good at what I do, don't hate my job (right now anyways lol) but know I can't do this for much longer. I wouldn't have done it any differently though but I certainly didn't have a good wage or lots of perks at my previous job either. I am making more now than I did then so the choice was easy.
    Last edited by mickyc; 11-17-2015 at 02:14 PM.