Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Am I crazy?

Starting to feel at home...
    You are not crazy at all! if you want to run a home daycare you want to run a home daycare lol and if that's what makes you happy then go for it. A friend of mine is like 5 Little Monkeys she doesn't have children and she runs a wonderful home daycare and makes more money then I do lol Not everyone does this job to be with their kids, there are providers out there who do this job because the choose it vs something else. Some people seem to complain about this job a lot and those are the type of people that are not cut out for this business. The reality of is you don't get the perks of everything and you figure out what perks work more for you and your life style. For me its simple I love children and working from home so everything else I can deal with.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ottawamommy For This Useful Post:

I ran a home daycare for 8 years, I went back to work in July. Lots of advantages from being at home, I am always going back and forth should I stay home and do daycare and then I come to my sense no. The new rules killed my business and three license daycare centers in my neighborhood. I do miss my kids a lot and not liking the commute at all and I make less money but I do have benefits. They are way more babies than over 2 children that require care in my neighborhood and as soon as they have a spot in the daycare centers they leave. I would not recommend starting a daycare with the new rules.

Thank you everyone for your posts, for sharing your experiences and for your honesty. I think I'm more confused than ever. But you all certainly gave me some important things to consider.

It's just interesting because for many of the reasons provided for not starting a daycare, I can say something similar about working outside of the house. I guess the grass always looks a bit greener on the other side.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaL View Post
    Thank you everyone for your posts, for sharing your experiences and for your honesty. I think I'm more confused than ever. But you all certainly gave me some important things to consider.

It's just interesting because for many of the reasons provided for not starting a daycare, I can say something similar about working outside of the house. I guess the grass always looks a bit greener on the other side.
    It is always greener on the other side. So ultimately the question is...is your grass green enough at your current job and will you have enough fertilizer to keep it green for years to come in a home daycare?

Expansive...
    Don't get us wrong as a lot of us love working with children, I do for sure , but we were just being honest to you about a lot of the cons of this job that we did not consider when we went into this kind of work and it is good to see it from all different ways pros and cons.
    now you have more info, maybe more than you wanted LOL but I think you will have a better idea of want you will be getting into if you choose daycare and leave your career behind and know it is not all just sitting in the park with the kids on a sunny day and you did put it under the title of AM I CRAZY ? lol

Quote Originally Posted by babywhisperer View Post
    My point is both my children grew up in a daycare and both have said it wasn't great. They had to share me all day, at night I was so tired of "playing" I had nothing left for my kids. My kids did not have after school activities because I just couldn't get them there (it is good to hear most of you are managing that aspect!). Daycare was good for me, but not for my kids.
    I just wanted to highlight this.

People are always saying how nice is it that I can do daycare and be home with my kids. The truth is, its not always nice for my kids. Sure they enjoy playing with their friends all the time, but they share their mom, they share their toys, they share their home. If one of them is feeling a little crummy (but not full out sick) and just wants to spend a day snuggling with their mommy, they can't because there is a house full of kids that mommy needs to attend to. They get bitten and hit a lot. This past summer, my daughter was crying to me one morning that she "didn't want DCK to come because she hits me." It broke my heart.

Euphoric !
    Flower child- that was the exact reason why I have a designated daycare space (basement) and the rest of my home is daycare free. My daughter never has to share her toys. I also let her play upstairs by herself if she wants to. My daycare is not her choice it's mine.

The part that bothers me the most is the lack of flexibility. Luckily my MIL doesn't mind running my daughter places but sometimes I wish I could

Euphoric !
    My eldest liked being in the daycare but mostly because she was home with me. She really had a hard time sharing me and struggled a lot towards the end. My second loves the daycare but has her days where I hear "mom, I don't like daycare anymore." I've recently started letting her have more freedom and this has helped. She is excited that I am closing in Feb for a mat leave and although she will miss her friends, I think ultimately she likes daycare because I am there...not for all the other aspects which makes it harder when as mentioned above I can't be spend the day cuddling with her or just "hanging out" because there is a program to run. There is definitely a lot of guilt with this job but I don't know if it is anymore than I experienced when my eldest went to a daycare centre and I was away from her.

Quote Originally Posted by flowerchild View Post
    I just wanted to highlight this.

People are always saying how nice is it that I can do daycare and be home with my kids. The truth is, its not always nice for my kids. Sure they enjoy playing with their friends all the time, but they share their mom, they share their toys, they share their home. If one of them is feeling a little crummy (but not full out sick) and just wants to spend a day snuggling with their mommy, they can't because there is a house full of kids that mommy needs to attend to. They get bitten and hit a lot. This past summer, my daughter was crying to me one morning that she "didn't want DCK to come because she hits me." It broke my heart.
    I've thought a lot about how being a DCP would affect my children. The thing is, the situation right now isn't great. My work day might only be 8 hours, but that doesn't include all the driving and daycare drop-offs and pick-ups. My kids are at daycare by 7:30 and we're not home until 5:30. By the time we cook, eat dinner and tidy up, there's very little time in the evenings before it's time for them to go to bed. I too can't get my kids to after school activities unless it's after 6:00 (at the earliest) and that means coming home, changing and rushing out the door with a sandwich for dinner. There's a perception that working parents can easily leave work during the day for school events or leave early to take their kids to their activities. That's not the case for me.

If I have a daycare, I have many plans to ensure that my kids aren't affected too negatively. Perhaps some are unrealistic but it's important for me to at least try. My basement will be dedicated daycare space. Kids will nap in our extra bedroom or in my bedroom if needed. They will not nap in my kids rooms. There will be daycare toys and my kids toys. Anything special that my kids don't want to share will be kept upstairs or in their rooms during daycare hours. I will be able to see my children off to the school bus and be there when they come home. I certainly am unable to do that now. For times when I want to attend a school event, I will have a reliable family member that both the daycare kids and their parents will have met before to come look after the kids for a short time while I am away. The good news is that the school is just a few minutes from our house (versus a 30 minute drive from my current workplace). I also think that evenings when we have activities will feel less rushed because I will close at 5:00 and can have dinner ready (or close to being ready) to go (even if it's just leftovers from lunch).

So I guess I'd like to think that after being in a daycare away from me all this time, my kids will appreciate the extra time with me and the opportunity to do things that we couldn't easily do before.
    Last edited by MommaL; 11-18-2015 at 09:13 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MommaL For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    There are pros and cons to having your own children in your hdc or another dc. I don't have kids but from my experience in working in both home and centre daycares.....I am almost 100% sure that I'd prefer to have my kids in my own dc. Centre kids are just different than hdc kids and the issues between kids is a lot every day in centres. Bullying and ganging up on kids is something that we as staff had to stay on top of. Staff there also couldn't leave if they needed to pick up a sick child of their own from school ( which I always thought was ironic because a sick dc child was expected to leave ASAP lol)

Like mickyc, if I had kids, there would be no mixing personal toys with dc, my children's rooms would never be used for dc and I would find the time in each day for special one on one time (I already do this just for my dck's as I feel it's important) Any day that my husband had off would also be spent with our kids to give them a break and to experience what other kids get when their parents have a day off.