Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Feeling unappreciated

Does anyone else have problems with feeling unappreciated?

I opened my dayhome 4 months ago and I did not anticipate how difficult dealing wth parents would be. Everyday a parent does something different to blow my mind. For example yesterday I had one child's parents forget his wipes (for the third day in a row) and one parent forget diapers. The parent who forgot diapers also showed up 10 minutes late to pick up wih said diapers and no apology and thanks. Then this morning my first child of the day that causes me to wake up at 5:30am didn't even show up with no warning. I could have slept an extra hour but they just didn't even care.

It's not like I'm a push over I always tell the parents when they have done something wrong and that it will not be accepted next time but the fact they do it the first time weighs on me. They are paying 750 for full time care and expect me to pay for diapers and wipes? Get real! Every parent talks about how crazy there schedule is with no second thought to how my schedule is! I have parents showing up 5 minutes late all the time and it just drives me crazy! Both these parents that do this are already at home they could be here on time.

I took on 3 drop in clients which I now know I need to drop because even though they all signed contracts saying pick up and drop offs need to be communicated and followed they seem to think the contract was a joke.

End of rant but seriously I feel so unappreciated all the time. This is so different than any other job I have done because I giving these kids all my love and energy and there parents just want more and more.

I'm not sure how long I will be able to keep my dayhome running if all parents are like this.

Do you charge late pick-up fees? If they're already mentioned in your contract, ensure you follow through with that, it might be a wake up call for the late pick ups. Also, is it in your contract that parents need to provide wipes, diapers etc?
    Unfortunately some people just seem to find it all too easy to take advantage of others without a second thought, but that's why it's vital to stand up for yourself, your standards, and your business in a professional yet 'stern' manner (perhaps stern is not the appropriate word, but I'm tired and not thinking as clearly!) You need to show them that you expect them to stick to their signed contract and everything in it, while being respectful towards you at the same time just as they expect from you. Inevitably you will get those who you'll clash with over something or other, but it's important to stick to your guns and not get walked all over. We're not in this business to be doormats.

Euphoric !
    Lol. Yep that's normal. Some people will appreciate you more others will not, some have the attitude that you work for them, some will be rude and disrespectful.

Just remember you need to take your heart out of it when dealing with parents. Give your heart to the kids because they will appreciate it.

Set your boundaries and if they don't follow the rules then give them a termination letter. Are they showing up 5 minutes after your closed? Are you charging late fees? My parents are free to come within my operating hours, if the show 5-10 minutes after usual time that's ok as long as it is before 5 (my closing time).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I have parents bring me a case of diapers and club pack of wipes .....when they are running low i let them know ....they also have at least one full change of clothes with me. charge a significant late fee so that the patent thinks twice about coming late ....and yup the parents are often the worst part of daycare

Shy
    I also make them bring a package of diapers and wipes at time and tell them when they are low and they are always forgetting to being them. I told the parents kids will not be accepted into care wih out them and stuck to that today with a parent. Every parent has there own set of hours they need to stick to. These paticular parents leave at 430 and that is usually my latest pick up. I just feel bad charging for 5 minutes but it's the fact they aren't respectful enough to not do it. I have told them time and time again to stop but maybe I just need to start harming the dollar a minute

Outgoing
    This year, I took the extra fees out of my contract. I used to charge a late pick up fee but now, I simply state that late pick up is considered a breech of the contract. And I can terminate at my discretion. Already used this one too. I have a notice that I hand to the parent and I keep a copy so I can have a record of when it happens. It was on this forum that people have said that charging a fee - to some people- makes it sound like you are ok with them picking up late - so long as they pay for it. I also agree with what Lee-Bee says - parents can be like toddlers - always testing boundries.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Charge hefty late fees. Things like repeated late pickups/child not having supplies etc, could go in the contract as grounds for termination. Update your policies if you haven't already!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think every job has people who are under appreciated and over worked. I like that in this job, I can easily change that if it becomes a problem!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: