Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Red Flags!!

Euphoric !
    I think it just misunderstanding. Your fees from monthly but parent likely not realize extra charge for one day in November because it be Monday and 1st be Tuesday.

Parent find start daycare stressful. They worrying about baby being looked after by stranger, they worrying about go back work and not be with baby, they worry about extra cost on family income. Very stressful. Parent very wary when start daycare and worry if they made right choice for their child. Lot scare story about bad carer and they not know if they make good choice until some week into new arrangement.

She over-react but had been clearly explained before vs presumed she understand there will be one day fee for November, maybe she not feel so blindsided. Could be finances very tight and this cost not planned because mother not realize it due.

I just saying that her reaction might be factor of lot things in her mind.

To prevent happen again, must be clear if someone starting on different date to first that these costs applied. Or like lot of us, charge bi-week where it flat fee and easier for parent understand.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shannie View Post
    I charge 700/month
    If you charge bi-weekly at $35/day or $175/week multiplied by 52 weeks that is $9,100/year

When you charge $700/month multiplied by 12 months is $8,400

You can run your numbers with the number of unpaid days you have in both options and getting paid bi-weekly will always be more per year. So, if clients are happy because they can understand their payments better and you will be making more per year this would be a much better option imo.

Starting to feel at home...
    Thanks ladies. mom fully understood that her spot was FT and that payments for the month are due the first for that month. She is only using 15 days in December because of her holidays. We went over, more than once that the spot is FT and she is required to pay the month fees regardless of the days that are actually being used. I spoke with her Friday. She came to my home crying because she just assumed that I would throw in the extra day because she isn't using the Full amount of days in December. I explained that it is the same for my other dayhome boy and I am not throwing free days in. She doesn't think that's fair. I told her it's not fair to assume that I would work for free. She also then explained that the dayhome she is currently using is keeping her deposit, making her pay for an extra 2 weeks (not sure of everything that's going on there) and that her husband is living a province away right now and cannot get a transfer and they need to sell their home. Yikes! I agreed that I wouldn't be adding any extra kids to my line up for awhile, however, I do need to think of the what if's on my end. Her stating in our messaging that she is better off staying home, that she cannot afford my fees and now that she is trying to sell her house. I am afraid that she may just jump ship without notice.

If this is all happening before day one, I am nervous to see what comes when she is actually in my care.

Wow. I think whatever you do, keep your boundaries firm. And do NOT provide any care until you are paid in advance. No exceptions. If the cost of one day of daycare is going to send her over the edge like this, I'd be really concerned that there wasn't going to be money to pay for daycare.

Hopefully you just caught her on a bad day and that was the "last straw" and she'll have pulled herself together by Monday.

Do you know why she's leaving her current daycare?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flowerchild For This Useful Post:

She is leaving because she doesn't like the number of children that her current provider has. 8 in total (including her own 3). I totally get that that's why she would leave. I drive my daughter to school so I can only have 5 max and my daughter is gone all day. So currently I have 3 FT. I think that I will look to get one more child. Just in case this doesn't work out. I have that feeling.

Expansive...
    Wow it sounds like she will move as her husband has moved out of prov. and they are selling their house - so the question to ask yourself is DO YOU REALLY NEED THIS FAMILY FOR THE TEMP. TIME TILL SHE SELLS HER HOUSE AND MOVES TO BE WITH HER HUSBAND? it might be better to go for a more settled family for the long term

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Good morning ladies! So, today was suppose to be start day for this family. I was awake early as this girl starts half an hour before my other child. No show. I messaged the mom who said "I'm sorry, I though that you understood that we wouldn't be starting until the first.".....um.....I did give her the option of starting on the 1st when we had our talk about fees. All she said is that she understood the fees. She never told me that she would be changing the start date. All this headache and confusion before we even start....I am going to be redoing my dayhome ad today and adding another child, just in case they do move. But I am thinking that I may end up giving her notice. I feel completely disrespected. I have a feeling that she discussed the start date with her husband and just never told me. *sigh* what a way to start a Monday!

I would let her know that since you made plan, and changed you day to suit her ie start day, that today will be added to her bill. F***** that poop. I hate it when people try to take advantage like that.
    I would have an add up and take a child immediately. What does she think that you should not be able to earn a decent living? That is so uhhhhhhhgrrrrrrrr. I hope you fill both both spots with loving easy goning families so you can enjoy your holidays

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post:

Thanks so much 33 Daiseys. At drop off today (day one) I got a check for the month and 30 days notice. So much for bending over backwards. She probably didn't need childcare this month and was trying to get out of it, my guess anyways. So the hunt is on and many a lesson learned!

Outgoing
    She quit on her first day? Did I just read that right?