Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Why do you charge more for infants?

I'm just curious why many daycare providers charge more the younger the child is? For example, infants are charged more than toddlers and toddlers are charged more than preschoolers. I was planning to charge the same fee for all ages, but wanted to be sure that I wasn't missing something important when determining my rates.

I charge the same regardless of age.

Euphoric !
    i charge the same for everyone ...i only take kids up till they go to school....full time ... i dont change my fee because i find all the ages are the same amount of work and the older child eats more so i would never drop my fees ....centers do this because of ratios....

If spaces are limited for certain ages there could be shortage of spaces in your area and parents would be willing to pay more for those spaces harder to find. In Ontario where I am located the spaces of kids under 2yo are limited that's why I'm charging much more for those spaces and as soon as they reach 2yo their fees go down. It's just the market

Starting to feel at home... FSD's Avatar
    I charge the same no matter the age.

The main reason is there is more work involved with babies then older kids. Diaper changes, bottles, etc.
    Yes some providers charge more others don't. It up to you to decide what will work best for you in your area.

I personally don't charge different rates.

Euphoric !
    I think lot provinces have limit on infant spaces - more do than don't but it newer in Ontario than other places.

I not charge based on age of child - each age have own challenges. Baby are less independent, toddler need toilet train and learning rules, preschool need help and practice with scissor, pencil control.

It more common here for centre to charge more for infant but that connected to ratios being smaller for younger age. Inhome daycare not so much.

Euphoric !
    It depends on what you classify as "more work".....yes younger children need more diaper changes, help eating, help with art etc but toddlers can be just as exhausting IMO...they need more stimulation, use more supplies, eat more good etc....I think it all balances out so I charge the same for all ages.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post: