Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Breakfast

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by babydom View Post
    No I have done that before. Said something out loud but then after thinking about it said different before signing of the contract. Just say. I apologize but after some thought I prefer to stick to my regular schedule as it has been working well for me. So unfortunately my hours will remain at 7am and the children will be required to be fed breakfast before coming.
    It's then on her to agree and sign or say no thank u and move on.
    Thank you!

Outgoing
    I've never served breakfast but did stupidly allow one family to bring breakfast if the kids hadn't finished. I will never do it again.
    A) They arrived at 8am, there's no reason why the kids can't eat before then
    B) They brought crap - captain crunch or fruit loops or another sugary cereal that my kids got jealous over
    C) Sometimes they'd show up with a plain piece of bread and expect me to toast it and put something on it, which doesn't seem like a big deal, but the time and jam/margarine/wow butter whatever really added up
    D) I make sure to always feed my kids a large healthy breakfast, and it pissed me off to see these kids show up with crap. A few times the older boy (6) actually showed up with a baggie of 3 cucumber slices for breakfast! Another time it was a boost chocolate shake. Usually it was crappy sugary cereal. I wanted to serve them real breakfast but didn't want to be out money for it.

Also, I agree with the above posters that pointed out the age of the 12 month old. At least the boys I had could feed themselves without me hovering over them. You can't trust a 12 month old if you need to take your toddler to the bathroom or go dress them, for example, and it will eat up time in the mornings.

If you want to try it, I'd ask for $5 more each for you to serve your own food, and do it for a trial 2 week period. You may find the mornings getting too hectic with other kids arriving and everything.

Euphoric !
    Firstly I would never adjust my opening time especially if the mom doesn't really need it. I allowed one family to bring breakfast once and nope never again! Same thing as everyone else- crap food sent, not fully prepared, expecting me to toast bread etc, plus the added dishes and mess for me. Nope! Eat before you come.

Euphoric !
    I am more accommodating with my end time than I am with opening time...I'm just not a morning person lol. 730/745 is early enough for me! I wouldn't adjust it if it was me....especially if mom doesn't really need it!

Breakfast...we eat at 9 so even if they don't eat at home, they aren't going long before snack here. However, I've had parents send breakfast before. I'm pretty laid back and the way I'm set up, it's not an issue. I ask if they want it, 9x out of 10 they don't lol. I just throw it out or give it to them if they want. I have never really had kids complain that so and so is eating xx and they aren't. Even if they did, I just explain why and it's a non issue. I usually have laid back kids too I guess lol

The longer I do this, the more I learn to pick my battles so that I'm not stressing out over every little thing that goes against my schedule. I guess it would be different if I had difficult children but mine don't care. Every one is different though, so decide what battles are WORTH your time! Good luck

Outgoing
    Well I think you've gotten great advice here. I agree with most posters. I don't offer breakfast either. I offer a good hearty snack that sometimes IS an actual breakfast and it's early enough too. I feel the same way. The child should arrive ready for the day.

I had a parent ask me if they could start sending breakfast in the am and I refused. They weren't happy about it tho. But I really was not ready to make this kind of agreement. The child was coming in late often and I felt it was going to be too disruptive especially that we were having a snack shortly after he would finish eating breakfast. These were great people but they had such a difficult time just setting certain limits with their child it felt like they were putting some of there responsibilities on to me. I also did not like the fact that they were getting a "special" favor that other parents did not have.

Euphoric !
    While I wouldn't be offering breakfast to my DC kids I can understand why in some cases it is legit to ask. My 2.5yr old wakes on her own at 8am (goes to bed for 8pm). She cannot stomach food for almost an hour after waking. If we had to get her to daycare in the morning it would be a disaster. We'd have to be waking her before she is ready and would have to force food into her when her stomach is just not ready for it. She goes to nursery school once a week and I dread those days as we need to get food into her right away!

I suppose she would adapt if we had to do it daily...but some kids just do not wake up hungry. Right now I just serve breakfast at 9am and it is a solid meal in place of a snack for DCG. Then they wait until lunch.