Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Breakfast

Starting to feel at home...

Breakfast

I have a "potential" client starting. I am opening 15mind earlier (645) since she will be picking up at 345. She knows I do not serve breakfast and my rate includes lunch and two snacks. She has asked if she can send breakfast for kids... They are 2.5 and 12months. Part of me wants to say no. I don't serve or prepare breakfast etc. And then part of me wants to say for $5 more I will provide breakfast since my own toddler will be eating around that time. Would you either say no entirely or say no but for $5 more it will be provided. I eliminated breaky while back but I am bringing in new clients. Advice i dont want to regret anything!

i would say 5 dollars each child, and that way it comps you for the extra time. keep it simple hot or cold cereal, fruit, toast, yougurt ect.

Outgoing
    I allowed parents to bring breakfast for a short time, but I won't again. I didn't have control over what they were bringing in. If they bring in something that is not healthy, then what would you do? I had one parent bring in a box of Fruit Loops! There's nothing wrong with dry cereal, but fruit loops is just candy! If you think giving these children breakfast will be easy enough because your own child is going to be eating at that time too, then it would probably work out. But you should also have the agreement in writing before you start and be clear that the parent pays for the breakfast every day, whether or not she arrives in time -and have a cut-off time, like 7:15. If she isn't there by that time, then no breakfast.

Euphoric !
    A 12month old is not coming in, sitting down and feeding themselves. Are you able to be ready to sit and help/monitor a meal before the other kids arrive? If so I would agree to it, for the $5 but provide the food.

I would also tell them you will start on a trial period and if after 2 weeks it is not working for you then they will need to start providing the meal at home. Simply let them know that this meal greatly impacts your morning and needs to be done and over with before your other children arrive.

My main concern is that you start providing breakfast and they start coming later and later. Now you are having unfed kids arrive at the same time as your regular clients and you need to feed them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    A 12month old is not coming in, sitting down and feeding themselves. Are you able to be ready to sit and help/monitor a meal before the other kids arrive? If so I would agree to it, for the $5 but provide the food.

I would also tell them you will start on a trial period and if after 2 weeks it is not working for you then they will need to start providing the meal at home. Simply let them know that this meal greatly impacts your morning and needs to be done and over with before your other children arrive.

My main concern is that you start providing breakfast and they start coming later and later. Now you are having unfed kids arrive at the same time as your regular clients and you need to feed them.

Thank you! My other family arrives at 7:30 and I do not offer or serve breakfast. This mom actually works from home and wants to do early drop off so she can do an early pick up. I can't understand why, she can't feed her own kids. She lives few mins from my house as well. I think I will have to phrase it to say I don't offer or serve breakfast which includes outside food; and that the children are required to come fed in the morning. I eliminater breaky because I found it stressful and I opened at 7. She can adjust her hours to feed them at home. I just don't want to lose them as a potential client, but again I am already being flexible with the opening time!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fireyesblue For This Useful Post:

I don't offer breakfast. This may sound harsh, but I don't see any reason why a parent cannot ensure their child has breakfast before they come. Maybe if I started really early in the am, like 6am, but otherwise, I don't. I manage to get my own kids fed and ready for their day before starting, so I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that of others.

If you don't provide breakfast, I wouldn't start now. If you do, I agree with $5 per child per day. This will account for the extra food, extra work and extra time.

Euphoric !
    I not serve breakfast. I have different child arrive different time and it would be disruptive. I think letting child bring breakfast from home, mean have to allow all client to do same. It be chaos if you have different child arrive different time too. Breakfast time potentially be 2 hours long!!

I also find that my daycare children know when one child eat, all going to eat. I imagine an early arrival who did have breakfast home might want second breakfast if friend eating. How to supervise two groups as same time too? Those eating and those not?

I think offering to provide for a fee, shows that it is possible you could do breakfast but if Mom not want pay the money, it will be hard to justify not being open to bring from home.

I would say no outright to prevent that issue.

If the mom doesn't need to drop off that early, then don't let her drop off that early. Let her pick up early if she wants. I don't understand why she needs to drop off early in order to pick up early. I let parents pick up early, but there is no way in hell I will open my door earlier because of it. I also don't lower my fee for it either. She is paying for the spot not the hours used.
    Last edited by BlueRose; 11-22-2015 at 04:06 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    If the mom doesn't need to drop off that early, then don't let her drop off that early. Let her pick up early if she wants. I don't understand why she needs to drop off early in order to pick up early. I let parents pick up early, but there is no way in hell I will open my door earlier because of it. I also don't lower my fee for it either. She is paying for the spot not the hours used.
    I know, fully agree. I use to work out of the home with an hour commute there and hour back. I would still feed my child breakfast. Its just my "job"band the few moments I get before leaving. Don't get why someone who works from home needs a 645 drop off and can't feed their kids. I did agree to her hours. Nothing is signed. We have yet to meet - scheduled for later this week; providing she is interested after my saying no to breakfast and suggesting a later drop off.

Now her 645 would not start til June since her toddler would be coming PT until then, so yes I am kinda regretting agreeing to verbally opening 15mins earlier. Would it be awful to amend contract before their June start and change the hours? Lol I can't take back agreeing to the hours without looking silly. Ugh! Worse time finding clients lately, so desperate.

No I have done that before. Said something out loud but then after thinking about it said different before signing of the contract. Just say. I apologize but after some thought I prefer to stick to my regular schedule as it has been working well for me. So unfortunately my hours will remain at 7am and the children will be required to be fed breakfast before coming.
    It's then on her to agree and sign or say no thank u and move on.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post: