Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Let's talk about TV watching

I'm not against putting on the TV or a movie during daycare hours, especially if it's during quiet time for those that don't nap or when I'm getting lunch together. However, I know when advertising and doing interviews, many parents prefer that there be no TV (especially new parents or those whose kids have never been in daycare before). I remember myself wanting a daycare that didn't let the kids watch any TV. I ended up choosing one that apparently only watched "educational" shows. Of course, I later realized that was really only for advertising purposes and the shows they watched were hardly educational (Caillou anyone?). But by then, I was more accepting of the idea of TV.

Do you let the kids watch TV at your daycare? And if so, what do you tell parents when it comes up in interviews? Have any parents ever been concerned about it?

Expansive...
    I don't as I care for infant and toddlers so no TV here

Euphoric !
    We are TV free. My daycare is separate from my home (basement with separate entrance) so there isn't even a TV down there. I have offered TV for a special occasion e.g. PJ day (1-2 x's a yr) but I always find this just blows up in my face as the kids aren't used to it so they last maybe 2 mins. I find I spend the whole time redirecting them back on the couch that I don't really bother with it more often.

Euphoric !
    I have a tv in the dc space but it's never on except for music or stories on DVD. Most parents don't even notice it, or if they do, don't comment on it. I've tried tv on downstairs but they don't pay much attention as they'd rather play.

We are upstairs in the morning for drop off's and sometimes at the end of day for the last 1-2 pick ups. They watch tv up here much more intently even though there's also toys and books. When we have movie day, we watch it upstairs usually.

I'm not for or against tv..it's just what it is lol. Do I rely on it to entertain them? No. Do I let them watch it in moderation and don't stress about it? Yes. I've never had a tv free family so I guess that's why it's not a big deal to me.

I allow TV. It's on every morning when drop offs happen and I do breakfast. It's on every day at lunch for ten minutes while I put out lunch and its sometimes on at the end of the day for the last one or two kids till pick up. I'd say they get around 30-40mins a day. That being said some days are also no TV as we are outside all day in the spring, summer and fall. No one has ever had a problem with my tv being on.... I've even had no tv watching families and they didn't mind.

Expansive...
    No, We are TV and computer free here. Parents in my area wouldn't tolerate that.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaL View Post
    Do you let the kids watch TV at your daycare? And if so, what do you tell parents when it comes up in interviews? Have any parents ever been concerned about it?
    No screen time here, in any format, ever. I have client who come because no screen time and I never lost a potential client from not having it.

However, if I did do it, even occasionally, I would be honest about it. I would be furious if I asked question and it down play the amount of screen time or outright lied about. Infant not infant forever, child learn to speak, and most child tell parent about their day, what they eat, who was in dayhome that day, who off sick. If parent thought no screen or limited screen and child told list of program they seen that day, it would break parent trust and that is not fixable.

If you offer TV, then it clear you not feel it issue and many parent will agree but you must be honest. Nothing worse than client feeling they were told what they want hear vs the truth and allowed make informed decision about where they place their child.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

That's right Suzie. Must be honest. I'm very honest about the tv with all parents, new parents and in interviews. I tell exactly what we watch when it's on and etc. I could never say we watch only ten minutes then leave it on all day. I'd feel guilty and bad.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    We have tv day Thursdays only here. That way the kids don't whine about it as some of the olders started to do when I didn't have a set day. About 10 min while I prepare lunch and then another 10 during afternoon. The kid's don't pay attention more than that anyway. Parents totally fine with it and I know they turn on the tube at home a lot more. Curious george stories are fave. And boy they sure know their days of the week now!
    Last edited by ebhappydc; 11-29-2015 at 09:03 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ebhappydc For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    We use TV here sometimes. I cant say it's on regular basis it depends on our plans. We have movie day and then a related activity. I also use it for Kids exercise video or Yoga or Ballet as well. Mostly tho for music. I don't completely ban it ... I don't feel like TV is de THE DEVIL lol but I use it in moderation. I would say one or twice a week. I also fill out daily journals and right down what the kids did so the parents know when and what we watched. If a child request it I may or may not say yes. Under 3 yo I find kids don't really enjoy TV so we don't really use that much and if we do I am right there with them talking about what we see or hear ...