Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    I let them watch one show a day (20-30min). My kids are 2.5-3yrs. I limit it to a handful of shows that I choose from (Mother Goose Club Songs, Raffi song videos and right now Christmas classics).

I put the show on during lunch. Which is rather backwards I know but I don't like it on during play time as they stop playing and sit around watching. My DCG is a really picky eater and I have the rule that we stay at the table until the meal is over (my daughter eats lots and isn't fast about it). Since starting to put the show on DCG has started eating not only more but more variety. She always tells me right away "me no like that" then she eats the part she likes...next thing you know she is watching the show eating all the foods she does not like.

Now don't get me wrong, tv during meals is generally not the best, they don't talk and socialize and they eat more than they need. But I have found it useful. We don't have it on during snacks (or other non daycare meals) and I don't have it on during any other part of the day.

By having it on only during lunch they don't ever ask for shows during the day because they know it is only during lunch.

I will note that this has been the routine since down grading to just one DCG...when I had 5 we had zero screen time and the parents did indeed inquire about this. My current DCG watches tv 24/7 at home and they constantly give me long lists of her current favorite shows. They could care less if I use tv but I do not use it as I do find it negatively impacts their free play.

Euphoric !
    I have tv on in the morning for 30 minutes 7:30-8 and at the end of the day 4:30-5. Those who are here at that time get to watch it if they want. Also if any kids don't nap they get to watch tv or a movie during quiet time. All my kids nap currently though.

We occasionally watch a movie (1x every 2 months)

Shy
    I put the tv on briefly every day before lunch as I finish getting everything ready. Right now my group watches Paw Patrol. They love it but they also know as soon as it is done it is time to wash hands for lunch and they will go line up even if I am still finishing up in the kitchen. I tell my parents at interiew time that we do this and that on occasion I may put on another show or short movie. So far parents have been okay with that.
    If I do have extra tv for any reason then I mark it on my communication board and explain it to parents at pick up time. For example the other day I had a little come back after being sick. He was symptom free and fine to be back with me but not quite himself yet and very tired. I put the tv on a little early that day so they got an extra show. A few weeks ago I got a DVD from the library about numbers to go with our numbers theme. Next week I will definetly put a short Christmas movie on one day. But my parents will all be informed. And I think it is the communication that is key.