Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Deposits and refunds

I have always had the policy that refunds will not be given if you change your mind before you start. My clients can see all of my details on my website prior to visiting, so it's an open book.
    What do you do if now they want their deposit money back? I've never had someone not start before, and the spot has been reserved for a month now, and is being held open longer than that.
    I don't want to refund it, but it's that type of parent that might ruin my reputation if things don't go as planned. I'm so frustrated! Advice please!

What does ur contract say? Mine says if parent doesn't want the spot anymore before they start the deposit is NOT refundable. But if I no longer want to hold the spot for them then the deposit IS refundable. If ur contact is the same and she's pulling out then u rightfully can keep the deposit. However if u think it's going turn into hell and giving it back will be easier then do so. I did once. I stood by my contract but these parents where just right out mean so I refunded their money and said good ridins.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Parents gave the deposit, but the contract hasn't been returned yet.

if you have held the spot for more then a month, and they gave you a deposit, and she has the contract, then it shows a verbal agreement since money has crossed hands. No matter what she were to say, a small claims judge would see it that she has entered into an agreement with you.
    I wouldn't sweat it and if she does put up a fuss call her bluff.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 33 Daiseys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    I have always had the policy that refunds will not be given if you change your mind before you start. My clients can see all of my details on my website prior to visiting, so it's an open book.
    What do you do if now they want their deposit money back? I've never had someone not start before, and the spot has been reserved for a month now, and is being held open longer than that.
    I don't want to refund it, but it's that type of parent that might ruin my reputation if things don't go as planned. I'm so frustrated! Advice please!
    I only been asked once and decline. When I first open family wanted place in 3 month time. Just about month before start, Dad knock on door, was nice but said they found somewhere closer and would it be possible for refund. I explained that no, it compensate me for holding place and had been made clear non-refundable. He accepted that and no issue.

I used to write on receipt for deposit that it for "daycare - non-refundable" but my son told me that mean it for the actual service of daycare and if they cancel before coming, they not had any care and so could claim deposit back. I now write "Deposit to hold a place for CHILD NAME to start daycare no later than START DATE - non-refundable". This make it clear the money is for holding the place not for an actual service.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    My deposits go towards the last two weeks of care so if they don't start care they can't end care so to speak. It does say non-refundable deposit required at time of signing contract. If contract isn't signed does she even have proof she paid the money to you?