Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Question Strange Request?

Hi there. First time poster... I just opened my home daycare this past September and things have been going well so far. I have one spot open now and a family has been inquiring about it for their infant child. The parents have already visited with me, met my family and toured my home in the evening. I have provided them with a copy of my Daycare Handbook. I have also completed a small questionnaire for them (they are first time parents, so I figure they are being extra cautious?) and now the mom wants to come by with her child and spent "several hours" at the daycare to see how things are run, how her infant gets along with the other kids, etc. The thing is, the parents haven't even confirmed that they are going to take the spot and have openly admitted that they are still trying to decide. Maybe it's because I'm new, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable having a non-registered parent and child come into my home daycare and spend a half day there. I don't normally let other adults into the daycare (other than the kids' parents) during operating hours for safety reasons. Has anyone else had requests like this? How would you proceed? I'm not sure what to do... TIA!

This is normal. I personal don't allow it. A child always acts differently when their mom is with them, so she will not see a "true picture" of how her child will be. I feel that it is confusing for the child and unfair to the other children. I tell this to parents and also ask them if they would like someone they have never meet and I really don't know in the daycare around their child. They usually say no.

If you do decide to allow it, then make sure the mom is aware that you are not there to talk to her, but to watch all the kids in your care. I would also keep it to one hour.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think it's normal to ask too. Totally up to you on how you want to handle it. I did it more in the beginning when I had new first time moms. I allowed them an hour to two and it always went relatively fine. It depends on the child, but bluerose is right, some kids won't give mom the true picture. I haven't had anyone ask in so long so I'm not sure what I'd do now. It doesn't bother me a whole lot and the crew I have now, I know it wouldn't bother them either.

I always tell new parents that in the beginning I'll send lots of pics and videos and than it decreases as time goes on. I totally understand the uncomfortableness/uneasiness that would come with leaving your child in the hands of a stranger essentially. Until trust is formed, I think it's normal parent behaviour A few months down the road I expect them to "back off" a bit as they now know and trust me. Good luck!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Ya it's normal. But I don't allow it. I say ofcoarse but we can meet up at a park, mall or playgroup or library and spend together there and she can see how I interact with the kids in a place that's not my home. I only allow parents of registered kids into my home for short play dates before the child is to start.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

You can also let her know when you will be at the park. That way she can show up and see how you are with the kids and let her daughter play with the dc kids. She is responsible for her child the whole time.
    They other kids are use to having other people around at the park.

This gives a more common ground and the parent isn't "intruding" in your work space.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Totally normal. it is up to you to decide whether or not this is something you want to accommodate.

I don't as it is just too much to handle, the kids all act differently, depending on the kids you have I've had kids that out right scream in terror at the sight of other adults and there is just no way any one benefits from that.

If they can't take the leap of faith that I will care for their child without them visiting during daycare hours then they are just not a good match for me.

Just explain your reasoning and leave it to them to decide if they wish to proceed. I just explain it from the children's perspective (some are scared of new people and this is their safe zone), let them know that by letting them do this it means you would be doing the same with future potential clients meaning random adults in contact with their child.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Thanks so much for all the helpful (and quick!) replies. I guess it just struck me as odd because none of my other parents have ever asked to do anything like that. This has been a very demanding interview process so far with them (meeting, phone calls, questionnaire and now this)... but I suppose that tends to happen with first-time parents.
    I am a little hesitant to do it because I have one 2 yr old girl that is terribly shy - it took her almost two months to not run away crying when my husband would come home at the end of the day. I'm concerned that she will panic and cry, and that will set off the little 8 month old (who tends to cry when other kids do, just to join in) and suddenly my daycare is a crying mess of kids. Not the best first-impression.
    I think I may try to go the "no strangers in the home during daycare hours" route. I don't mind if she wants to drop by for half an hour of so during transition (if she actually decides to place her child with me), but I'm not sure that hanging around for a few hours as a "stranger" may be the best way to go.
    I only have the one space open now and quite honestly, I'm not desperate to fill it. Yes, the extra money would be nice, but I also don't want to overburden myself (as a new provider) and bring on what may be some high-maintenance parents...

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LilDuck For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by LilDuck View Post
    Hi there. First time poster... I just opened my home daycare this past September and things have been going well so far. I have one spot open now and a family has been inquiring about it for their infant child. The parents have already visited with me, met my family and toured my home in the evening. I have provided them with a copy of my Daycare Handbook. I have also completed a small questionnaire for them (they are first time parents, so I figure they are being extra cautious?) and now the mom wants to come by with her child and spent "several hours" at the daycare to see how things are run, how her infant gets along with the other kids, etc. The thing is, the parents haven't even confirmed that they are going to take the spot and have openly admitted that they are still trying to decide. Maybe it's because I'm new, but I'm not sure I'm comfortable having a non-registered parent and child come into my home daycare and spend a half day there. I don't normally let other adults into the daycare (other than the kids' parents) during operating hours for safety reasons. Has anyone else had requests like this? How would you proceed? I'm not sure what to do... TIA!
    It not uncommon - nor questionnaire - from new parent but you not have to accommodate it. I not do questionnaires and I not do pop and and see play dates.

Client come for interview and they either want space or not, but I too busy to jump in hoops just because they wish me to. Don't be afraid of say no, and don't be afraid of draw conclusion about how demanding these might be as client.

No shame in saying no, and explaining they have had opportunity to see dayhome, meet entire family, read all document but not a drop in centre and neither insurance or current client would be comfortable with strangers hanging out in business hours. It time she decide but several hours play date is not part my interview process. If they want phase in once signed, that up to you decide if you want do - but again, not obligated to have parent present for it all either. It false environment anyway. Parent want see their child is happy but parent not invisible while observing and it strange for other children.

Time she sign or move on but I would not do this.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Gotta also say, this forum has been a lifeline for me so far! I had so many questions/concerns/fears starting out, and I've been able to find answers and support here. It's awesome!

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LilDuck For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I think common for new carer to feel they need be everything for everyone one. Children are important but that not mean we have accept every and any imposition parent would want us to.

Set boundaries of service. Determine process for interview and not be afraid to enforce boundary. Without it, you be insane by end of first year. It a two way interview so if parent demanding or unrealistic, take that information as gift telling you what they be like long term. And never be afraid to say no - and you not have to justify your decision.

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post: