Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ages 0-4 only.

Ages 0-4 only.

I've never really had any kids go off to school and still need care. But I have one little guy going to school next fall and parents want b/a school care. Ofcoarse I said yes. His sister will start next summer as well. I've had the family for almost 3 years and love them. So it was a no brainer. BUT now two mths later. I am rethinking it. It will be hard to do school bus run with four little ones when raining and cold. And I lose out on money with a school child taking up a full time spot. So I guess my question is are there home daycares that only offer care ages 0 or 1yr till they go to school? What do parents think if I say that in an interview that they can only stay for 3yrs then they have to leave if going to school? Will they want a daycare that keeps them for years through school? Also how do I tell this mom now I've changed my mind two mths after giving it thought! I feel bad

Euphoric !
    I think most of us do not offer B and A care. I think this is actually more the normal. I am clear with parents that I do not offer this and encourage them to get on B&A waiting lists now.

As to the family you said you would offer this to but have changed your mind. I think you just need to talk to them. Explain that you made the decision more emotionally because you love this child and the family but after thinking about it, it does not make sense to offer this. You can explain your reasons e.g. financial, the new Bill and spots being scarce, and the practicality e.g. waking kids early from nap to do school pick up, weather etc. They have tons of time to find alternative care for next September.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

I only offer for 12m to 4yrs (starts school). The only reason I am currently doing school runs is because my boys are too young to walk themselves. I hate school runs. I also don't want to deal with a pissed off parent because I decided not to the school run for whatever reason having their kid miss school. Fewer and fewer providers in Ontario are offering b&a anymore.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I don't offer before/after school care. Even my own 5 year old goes to the school's program. I am not interested in dragging kids out in the winter for a school run.

My clients all know that and actually like that I don't have to drag everyone out every day. I had my first dcb start jk this year. He is in the school program and his little sister remains with me. It will be the same next year with 2 more starting jk and both siblings remaining here.

I earn more filling a full time spot than it costs for my dd to be in the school program.

Tell them you have reconsidered the effect on your children in care and have decided not to offer school pick ups.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Thank you. Makes me feel better. I'll talk to mom tomorrow at pick up!!

Euphoric !
    Many home providers do not provide before and after care and many families look for daycare providers that do not do these school/bus runs.

Tell her that on further consideration and looking at the impact of the bus/school runs on your younger children you cannot provide such care when he starts school.

I don't think you will be disappointed in this decision next winter!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by babydom View Post
    I've never really had any kids go off to school and still need care. But I have one little guy going to school next fall and parents want b/a school care. Ofcoarse I said yes. His sister will start next summer as well. I've had the family for almost 3 years and love them. So it was a no brainer. BUT now two mths later. I am rethinking it. It will be hard to do school bus run with four little ones when raining and cold. And I lose out on money with a school child taking up a full time spot. So I guess my question is are there home daycares that only offer care ages 0 or 1yr till they go to school? What do parents think if I say that in an interview that they can only stay for 3yrs then they have to leave if going to school? Will they want a daycare that keeps them for years through school? Also how do I tell this mom now I've changed my mind two mths after giving it thought! I feel bad
    I only do until they go school. I had parent presume I will continue after but I can't. As you say, too hard to get to bus and back in Winter, timing naps around school bus, and that first year school, they grow up lot and they not interested in same activities. Very hard to have program for two age group and summer is horrible with split ages. School age child want be outside after lunch, younger child used to nap after lunch. I not able supervise outside and listen for children inside at same time.

Also, child taking place. I not want accept $20 for child here before school and after when he in place I can charge $38 for. Not so bad doing that if all child in school and have middle day off but if working anyway with younger child, why cut pay if taking place. And if you do for one client, feel obligated do for other client, can you pay bill if 3 or 4 places going to school age child on reduced fee?

So I guess my question is are there home daycares that only offer care ages 0 or 1yr till they go to school? Yes. In this area, more common for dayhome to have one age group or other. Only handful take mixed age and more likely if own children are mixed age.

What do parents think if I say that in an interview that they can only stay for 3yrs then they have to leave if going to school? I only ever been asked one time and once explain why I not take school age, they understand and preferred it as their 12 month old baby would have 3 year before it issue. Plus when they think about, they realize they prefer own child not in group of Elementary children.
    Also would not be something I discuss unless parent ask. They coming for interview for FT care. That would be our arrangement. Like anyone want to reduce hours, that discussion tend happen as need come up as child approach school age.

Will they want a daycare that keeps them for years through school? Lot can change in those year. What percentage of children do you keep from 12 month to age out? I keep almost 80% of children who come. Some move away. Some have new baby and not afford care on mat leave. Lot mine not in this local school catchment anyway. I think maybe only handful age out and go to school that close to me.

Also how do I tell this mom now I've changed my mind two mths after giving it thought! I feel bad Just be honest. Explain reservation about mixed age group and requirement for 2 program. Explain lost income. If you feel obligate, make clear to mom that you will do but she will be pay full day rate. She likely make decision for you if you handle gently. Most not think about reduced income and if good client, they will totally understand.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 12-01-2015 at 05:32 AM.

Thank u everyone. I talked to mom and she took it well. She's upset as she wants both kids to remain here and now she'll have to do two drop offs if older child goes into the b/a school care at the school. But she understood. I feel really bad and I will miss him so much. But I'm glad I changed my mind. Just to hard in the winter time and the lost of money and as Suzie said different ages different interests. Never even thought of that! My only fear is that she said she prefers a home daycare over the school care. So if she finds another home daycare for him that does do school bus runs I would think little sister would go too . Will be sad but totally understandable!

Starting to feel at home...
    I have just recently gotten notice from my only b&a school family. My own son is off in high school now, so there is really no reason that I have to go to the elementary school myself. So I have decided to take on only little ones.
    I find that with whole numbers restrictions, the b&a school kids end up taking a space, but I'm getting paid less for it. It's just not worth it anymore.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    i dont do school age either .....i currently have 3 families with children in the b and a program at the school ...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post: