Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    I am addicted to sugar. It is funny because i do a lot to avoid it in what we eat. Heck, I buy pain yogurt and add frozen berries to it to avoid the sugary stuff. But I am ADDICTED to sugar. I get it in my tea. which i now drink too much of just to have sugar. Lots of sugar. If I try and skip my tea for the day it is ALL i think about. I stand there debating and restraining myself before I finally cave and have tea...with sugar.

I go thorugh good periods where i can go without for over a week and i start to feel better...next thing i know i am having a tea (with sugar) and then I am back in the cycle of NEEDING sugar.

I seriosuly can't help but feel like it is the same as being addicted to alcohol (i don't drink any...thank goodness what if it is as addicting as sugar for me!).

Anyways my point here is...do you find the same? What is it that draws you back into the unhealthy foods? Is it sugar? Something else. I think being awake of this would be helpful. not sure how. But trying some strategies to either get over the "withdrawals" and kick the habit or having a bit a day to let your body have the taste without bingeing after trying to avoid it.

I also agree with the above. Maybe shift the focus from food to exercise or something else to help you get healthy. If food is the weakness then maybe you can muster up the self control to focus on exercise for the time being!

All this talk about sugar and I seriously need a tea now. I didn't have one yet...so it should be ok...right???
    I don't think it's the sugar. I think I get drawn back because I get bored of the heathy foods. I can find enough variety of foods I like. Doesn't help I'm a very picky eater . I also get drawn back because of the prep. Junk u can just grab and go but if it's heathy up gotta stand there and prep it.

Euphoric !
    What I find works best for prep is to cut all my fruit and veggies for the week on Sunday or Monday morning. I have a couple of the divided trays and I like them best. I sometimes make up ziplock bags of mixed veggies too so they're easy to grab and go.

I also like to make freezer meals for the nights I'm too lazy to cook (so like every night lol) I put them in tin foil trays from the dollar store and just reheat in the oven.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    "I also like to make freezer meals for the nights I'm too lazy to cook (so like every night lol) I put them in tin foil trays from the dollar store and just reheat in the oven."

I made a bunch of freezer meals to help me these last 3 weeks because my husband had surgery. My only complaint is they seem to take forever to cook. Maybe my lasagna/sheppards pie is thicker more hearty than a store bought one but I have found it has actually been an inconvenience as I could have made a stir fry in a fraction of the time! What am I doing wrong? heh heh

Another thing that has helped me is drinking milk. I started drinking a glass of skim milk before or after dinner and I find I am full all night. I also combine meals a lot. So we had beef fajitas tonight. I chopped extra pepper and onion strips (and added broccoli, mushrooms) and threw it in a freezer bag in the fridge for a stir fry tomorrow night.

Euphoric !
    Are you cooking them from frozen? If you pop one in the fridge the night before it should thaw by the time you need to pop it in the oven reducing cooking time.

Asimple change that may (or may not) help are changing out some items like pasta. We buy quinoa pasta and red lentil pasta from costco. It is pretty decent price and means you are eating quinoa (awesome protein) or lentils instead of wheat pasta. We find with a hearty sauce on it there isn't much difference in taste or texture.

Looking at simple changes like that can help and are relatively minor and dont require extra work on your part!

Outgoing
    I had to change my eating habits for my health but it's freaking hard to be good all the time. The body and mind go into withdrawal.. I need something that takes 2 seconds to grab and not prepare at all, so several times a day I pop over the baby gate into my next room kitchen, and on my counter I have jars out in the open of pumpkin, walnut, sunflower seeds, and this will sound weird but I even have a jar of raw, dry oatmeal I take a handful of whatever and finish off with a swig of cold water I'm good for an hour again to deal with dc. Gotta have fast proteins ready to eat with no prep. My teens r getting into them too b/c they're there in the open. You actually slowly get used to eating healthier - my palette has changed over time. I actually can't eat an entire Sara Lee chocolate cake anymore like I used to. I find it too sweet now.

Edit. Ps. I believe carbs like white flours and chips convert into sugar during digestion. Also try coconut sugar in tea coffee, i heard it has a lower glycemic index than white. It tastes like caramel!
    Edit#2. Nuts can be expensive. If you're going to buy them get them in bulk and after filling jars throw them in freezer
    Last edited by ebhappydc; 12-02-2015 at 06:25 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ebhappydc For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ebhappydc View Post
    I had to change my eating habits for my health but it's freaking hard to be good all the time. The body and mind go into withdrawal.. I need something that takes 2 seconds to grab and not prepare at all, so several times a day I pop over the baby gate into my next room kitchen, and on my counter I have jars out in the open of pumpkin, walnut, sunflower seeds, and this will sound weird but I even have a jar of raw, dry oatmeal I take a handful of whatever and finish off with a swig of cold water I'm good for an hour again to deal with dc. Gotta have fast proteins ready to eat with no prep. My teens r getting into them too b/c they're there in the open. You actually slowly get used to eating healthier - my palette has changed over time. I actually can't eat an entire Sara Lee chocolate cake anymore like I used to. I find it too sweet now.

Edit. Ps. I believe carbs like white flours and chips convert into sugar during digestion. Also try coconut sugar in tea coffee, i heard it has a lower glycemic index than white. It tastes like caramel!
    Edit#2. Nuts can be expensive. If you're going to buy them get them in bulk and after filling jars throw them in freezer
    Good ideas. I'll start leaving nuts and seeds out and in the open thank u!

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    Are you cooking them from frozen? If you pop one in the fridge the night before it should thaw by the time you need to pop it in the oven reducing cooking time.

Asimple change that may (or may not) help are changing out some items like pasta. We buy quinoa pasta and red lentil pasta from costco. It is pretty decent price and means you are eating quinoa (awesome protein) or lentils instead of wheat pasta. We find with a hearty sauce on it there isn't much difference in taste or texture.

Looking at simple changes like that can help and are relatively minor and dont require extra work on your part!
    I take it out the night before or the morning of and cook. Sometimes cook them frozen and yes they obviously take longer that way some stuff just needs to be reheated and sone needs to cook still so depends on when I take it out. I do it a lot for dc lunches too!

Outgoing
    Last year I bought several Rubbermaid divided trays at Walmart and I love them! The large section is great for vegetables, and your meat and mashed potatoes can go in the 2 smaller sections. Microwaving is much faster than reheating in the oven too. I make up a bunch of trays for myself whenever I cook a roast or a turkey. I use already frozen vegetables and they heat very nicely. A full tray from freezer to table takes 6-7 minutes. Essentially a home-made tv dinner but without the salt!

NB- mashed potatoes (with butter and milk) freeze and reheat very well in the microwave. I have not had any success with other kinds of potatoes being microwaved from frozen.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I totally get it and working from home ... having access to food all the time is hard. What helped me is the beach body programs. I do a 30 minutes workout during naptime. You would not believe the energy that exercising gives me. I am totally addicted to them now I NEED to exercise to make sure I have the energy for the day.

The eating ...I don't keep crap in my house. Even if my kids or husband want to have it. Do I want my kids to struggle they way I did when I got to my adult life ...? NO ! So I bake healthy muffins add natural sugars and that is our treat. I bake with whole wheat and oatmeal so we feel fuller longer. I am not saying we don't eat chips or candy but they are for a certain special time. And if I know Friday is going to be a movie and popcorn day then it helps me make better choices since I know I am going to get to pig out haha.

It's also mostly habit ... Give yourself small reachable short term goals and move your way up. Be proud of your small success and don't focus on your set backs. Try to notice WHEN you reach out for unhealthy choices and then find an easy alternate. My favorite go to snack now is Apple and almonds it's filing and SUPER quick and easy. My favorite super filling breakfast oatmeal banana waltnut and a bit of maple sirup. Favorite lunch ... egg salad wrap but instead of mayo ...cottage cheese add salt and mustard SOOOO yummy. For dinner what ever is served I always put more veggies on my plate and start eating those first so I can fill up on the good and eat less of the not so good and I drink LOTS AND LOTS of water. I say this and I do it ...but NO not everyday and sometimes not even once during the week. We all have downs.

Good luck and stay focus on the positive and no matter what you are a beautiful person

13. The Following User Says Thank You to crafty For This Useful Post:

Thank u!!!!