Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Does any one

Does any one

Does anyone know what the law / regulations are for leaving child in car while dropping off sibling at daycare?????

What would you say to parents if this has happened to you?????

Euphoric !
    Do you mean at your home daycare? Personally I do not see anything wrong with leaving an older child (like 4+) alone in a car for a few minutes while running into a house.

If they are leaving a child alone in the car and going through a parking lot into a building and down the hall...well I still am not convinced this is a huge deal but the law itself would likely have issue with it.

I do NOT EVER condone leaving a child of any age in a running car. This is a target for a quick car theft. Also, kids of any age should not be left in a position to drive off (it happens).

So ultimately it would depend on the age of the child and how long they are out of sight of the child.

Euphoric !
    For myself I have no issue with it but that is just because of my set up.

Two of my parents leave baby in car while they run older sibling inside to me. Another brings in baby at drop off and then goes back out to get sibling. Car is in the driveway or on the street in front of my house where it can be seen. I have no issues with it as its at my home. If it's a centre and a parking lot then ya, no!!

Child is 4, car can not be seen from cubby area, has gotten out of car seat climbed into front then out drivers door and ran to door, not sure how long child was out of car before coming to door. parent is usually 5 to 10 mins undressing and signing child in talking about child's night. This child has taken off on parents many times before and has run across road and down side walk.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by pooch View Post
    Child is 4, car can not be seen from cubby area, has gotten out of car seat climbed into front then out drivers door and ran to door, not sure how long child was out of car before coming to door. parent is usually 5 to 10 mins undressing and signing child in talking about child's night. This child has taken off on parents many times before and has run across road and down side walk.
    If the child is exiting the car then it isn't safe, they need to not only reconsider how they do drop off...but work on having the child obey and not run off. At age 4 this is purely a behavioral issue.

I don't really know what to suggest for your actions. You could say something since they are in your home and on your property. But, ultimately they are the parents and you are not caring for his child so it is on them to decide what to do and to control their child while they are dropping off.

Euphoric !
    Law about leaving child unattended (which she is if they not able see her) change provincially. What province you in?

I find this -

http://cwrp.ca/sites/default/files/p...ns/en/144e.pdf

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014...lice_warn.html
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 12-03-2015 at 03:19 PM.

Starting to feel at home...
    I suppose it would be the same as if one were to see a child left alone in a car in any instance (e.g. at a store or the bank). One can call the authorizes if there is a concern, but the severity of the situation and how it's handled is then left up to the authorities to decide. But if you do go this route, the family will very likely stop coming and things could get messy.

Normally, I'd be fine with parents leaving a sibling in the car if they were just running in for a minute. But in this situation, I agree it's worrisome. I'd suggest just bringing it up with the parents. Say something along the lines of "I really worry about ____ being left in the car while you pick up ______, just because she has run off before. I would hate to see anything happen to her. I hope you know it's ok to bring her in."

Expansive...
    Wow!!!getting out of the car is not safe so I would suggest to the parent that she can just drop the younger child with me and then I would undress the child as I do that with a Mom who has a 3 year old in the car and she runs to the door and then I take the baby at the door and undress him and Mom runs back to the locked car - takes a min or two and the 2 children are safe

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I would speak to them. Make it an insurance/safety issue. Let them know that he has demonstrated unsafe behaviour when left in the car and you are not comfortable with this. If something were to happen, you could be held liable.