Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Is it a bad time of year to start a day home?

Hello everyone,
    Feeling a bit frustrated. I got my day home organized and ready to go by mid November. Done lots of advertising, put ads up in all kinds of places that I felt parents would see them and talked with a few schools, plus joined a group on Facebook to get even more advertising. I am wondering if December is a slow month for everyone? will I see more people calling after the new year? Being new at this, was not sure what to expect. Is there something more I should be doing to stand out to potential clients?
    Everyday I say to myself, tomorrow is a new day and a new day could bring new beginnings!!!

Any advice?

Euphoric !
    I opened up in November, 4 years ago. I filled 3 ft spots ASAP but the 4th one was casual/part time for a bit. It will come!! Good luck

Euphoric !
    Will vary on location but allow full year to fill places with the type of client you really want. Less time if you bend to extended hours and people you prefer not to have given option.

Euphoric !
    It's never a good time to open! It can take time.

I would suggest looking at your ads though. think from the parents perspective. Things like "brand new" or "5 open spots" are turn offs.

Advertise one space at a time, don't mention you are new and empty. Try to get them to your place before they find that out.

Expansive...
    Dec can be slow - well anytime a home daycare opens can be slow when you first start out - just hang in there and they will call- Good Luck

generally it takes at least a year to fill all 5 spots with Quality clients. Don't be in a rush to allow the first family you interview to sign up. Take your time, find familys that will gel with your out looks in life as it will make the next few years happy one. Best Wishes

Starting to feel at home...
    I started up my dayhome again in a new town. Had my first kid in August. Had a contract signed for the second spot in October (she didn't start until December). But as soon as I signed up that second (and last) spot I had 5 more families inquire that I turned down. I find that it comes in waves and I'm hoping January is a wave as I have spots for then but now no inquiries.

Shy
    Thanks so much.. this is helpful! Its nice to come here and just ask what you need to know and there is always someone to give advice!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlecottage For This Useful Post: