Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Shy

Terminating Part-Time Family

Hello,

I have a family with 2 boys that come two afternoons a week, which worked with another part-time family who is leaving the daycare. I can no longer accommodate the boys schedule and need to terminate because I need to take on a full-time dck in place of the two part-time families.

It is for financial reasons I need to terminate and just don't know how to go about it. Any advice on how to go about this? I feel terrible about it but just dont know what to say :S

You write up a letter offering the fulltime spots to the kids you have. And you explain in the letter that if they don't take the spots, while you understand, you will be forced to give them notice.

This is why I never take kids who share spots. In my daycare if you want a spot you pay for it.

Euphoric !
    Around here that seem to always be people looking for part time care. First I would advertise the open days and see what comes up. You could also ask the family to switch days or leave. A lot of government workers here have the option of working longer hours and getting fridays off so many asking for a 4 day week. That way they could still share. I almost always have at least one mom on mat leave and they know that they will need to juggle the days the older child comes to fit in with what is available.

At minimum I assume they are paying for the full day at least. Their daily rate plus two three day part timers would equal the regular full rate plus still give you an extra day to add someone or to have an easier day.

Outgoing
    I recently had to terminate a part time family. The daycare kid came anywhere from 1-3 days per week as parents were shift workers. I eventually needed the spot filled with a full timer ONLY for the income, it was not a decision I made because of the child or the parents.
    I laid it all out in a letter and handed it to them at pick up one day. it was really difficult as i had became friends with this family (first mistake). They were completly shocked and taken by surprise. Here is a blurb of the letter I gave to them:
    The reason being is strictly financial reasons. Running a daycare, I am legally allowed to have only 5 children in care, not including my own. Having xxxxxx attend one, two, sometimes three days per week still takes up one of my five allotted spaces. I am in desperate need for a full time child just to help pay the bills. I really hope you can understand this.

PM me and I can share the rest of it for you if you interested.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KingstonMom For This Useful Post: