Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Business license for an unlicensed home daycare

Hi! This is my first time posting, I'm opening my home daycare in Toronto Ontario, and I have a few questions. I'm wondering if it's legal to register for a business licence for an unlicensed home daycare. If not, how do I go about paying taxes for my income? Also, what are the requirements to have your home daycare licenced? Do you need to have your ECE? Also, how do you provide receipts for your clients? Thank you in advance!

You can register your business name to get a business number, but don't have to. At tax time you claim as a "self-employed child care provider".
    For receipts you can just use a receipt book you get at the dollar store. You need to give receipts upon request now (its the law) not just at the end of the year. I have every one pay via EMT so they can print off a copy for their records when they send it, then I do a detailed receipt on my computer at the end of the year or end of care. You can find a sample of my receipt and other daycare related forms at www.homedaycarebusiness.weebly.com

To become a licenced home daycare you need to join a "Licenced Home Daycare Agency" there are good things and bad things in doing this. So I would interview all the agencies in your area. Ask lots of questions, even if you think you know the answer. such as: Can I still take on private clients? When is pay day? (most that I know of pay you on the 15th of the month for the work you did the month before)

Be ready to spend money before they let you join, Dr.'s notes (all people 18+ living in the house, stating you are all okay to run/be around a daycare), TB Tests (all people 18+ living in the house need one), Copies of immunization records (all people no matter their age living in the house), Police Checks (all people 18+ living in the house need one every 3 to 5 years, The law now starts a police check is to be updated every 5 years, but I am hearing that some agencies are going to keep it at every 3 years) and of course references from 3 different people who know you.
    As for receipts for any child who is coming to you through the agency, the agency gives them their receipts not you.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    You can register your business name to get a business number, but don't have to. At tax time you claim as a "self-employed child care provider".
    For receipts you can just use a receipt book you get at the dollar store. You need to give receipts upon request now (its the law) not just at the end of the year. I have every one pay via EMT so they can print off a copy for their records when they send it, then I do a detailed receipt on my computer at the end of the year or end of care. You can find a sample of my receipt and other daycare related forms at www.homedaycarebusiness.weebly.com

To become a licenced home daycare you need to join a "Licenced Home Daycare Agency" there are good things and bad things in doing this. So I would interview all the agencies in your area. Ask lots of questions, even if you think you know the answer. such as: Can I still take on private clients? When is pay day? (most that I know of pay you on the 15th of the month for the work you did the month before)

Be ready to spend money before they let you join, Dr.'s notes (all people 18+ living in the house, stating you are all okay to run/be around a daycare), TB Tests (all people 18+ living in the house need one), Copies of immunization records (all people no matter their age living in the house), Police Checks (all people 18+ living in the house need one every 3 to 5 years, The law now starts a police check is to be updated every 5 years, but I am hearing that some agencies are going to keep it at every 3 years) and of course references from 3 different people who know you.
    As for receipts for any child who is coming to you through the agency, the agency gives them their receipts not you.
    Some of this not true for different provinces. You have to check own province regulations.

In PEI, police check require for all adult in house and that be your expense to get and maintain. But no require for dr note, TB test or copy immunization.
    Also here, daycare provider give receipt for part of fees parent pay. Agency not give receipt, ever.

Here registered carer can have subsidy and private client. It nothing to do with agency who dayhome accept. Only agency involvement is making sure dayhome following regs, monthly visit, and support. Agency processes paper work for subsidy and agency receive money from government for subsidy client and pass back to provider.

It not same country wide. Must check own regs and find out.

Suzie_homemaker she said she is opening in Toronto, Ontario. So what I said is correct for where she is located.

Euphoric !
    My comment still valid.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 12-06-2015 at 08:31 PM.

Thank you! Those replies helped a lot!