Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lawsuit ?

Lawsuit ?

I spoke with my Landlord earlier who I informed I would opening a small home daycare. I didn't realize how concerned he would be. He told me story after story of accidents that might happen in my care, and has frightened me to the point where I'm not confident to open my daycare now. I'm wonder how many people have experienced a parent filing a lawsuit or threatening to? Is this something that happens often? To what extent does daycare insurance cover you, and will they cover an unlicensed home daycare? TIA

Euphoric !
    I am a private hdc with extra insurance. From what I remember, a few examples she gave would be that it covered...

- damage to my home/supplies/toys
    - if a child hurt themselves in my care (if I was found not at fault, not sure how it works if I was found to be negligent?)
    - if I called an ambulance, parent is responsible to pay (this also is one of my clauses though)

However, to my knowledge, if I had a pool or hot tub, insurance would be void (or maybe just more $$$. We don't have either so I didn't pay attention). If you're over your legal number of kids allowed, insurance is also void

Euphoric !
    I never experienced someone threatening sue but do know that if you not have insurance for daycare, you making household insurance null and void for not being fully honest. When business run from home, higher number of people come and go than normal household and higher risk and house insurance can deny claim for unrelated incident if they find out and you not told them.

Worth mentioning - if your landlord not agree to running a dayhome, you can't do it. Rental for residential home normally expect to be you and family living there only and normal wear and tear on property from living in rental. Running a business does require permission for landlord for that use and it not sound like he too keen on idea.

if a child hurt themselves in my care (if I was found not at fault, not sure how it works if I was found to be negligent?)
    Lot insurance not cover negligence. If you found to be negligent any court awarded compensation would be out your pocket not insurance because situation was avoidable.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post: