Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Euphoric !
    Babydom, our approach to our days sound very similar!! I felt like I could have written your exact post ....parents reactions, questions, cell etc lol

I started off giving a day or twos notice about field trips and than it became the morning of and now it's sometimes shooting a text to the parent saying, "we decided to do xx. If need me, text or call" I also tell them if we will be at a playtime for pickup. They love this !! I have a couple that said don't worry about texting, we trust you. If we need early pick up we'll find you!
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 12-10-2015 at 09:27 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Haha. Nice!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    I would like to think that parents would trust me not to take their kids to some place that is inappropriate or unsafe or to leave them with someone. That's not what I was trying to say. Rather, I think that many parents just want to have a general idea of where their kids are so that in the rare instance that they couldn't reach you (maybe your cell phone isn't working or the parents themselves don't have access to phone) or if something happened to you, they would know where they might find you. This is especially true when you are by yourself with multiple kids, most who are likely too young to understand what to do if there was an emergency. Perhaps if you go to the same 2-3 places all the times, it's not as big of an issue. But if it's constantly changing and it could be one of 10+ places, it's more of a worry. I'm not saying that all parents are like this, and I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing either way (though for me personally, I'm one who does like to have a general sense of where the kids are). I'm just thinking that this may be a reason why the families of the original poster are asking a lot of questions.

5 Little Monkey's, I like that you send a quick text to your families when you go somewhere. You are still not having to plan your day in advance, but I think it's a nice gesture (even if some of the families don't feel that it's necessary).
    Last edited by MommaL; 12-11-2015 at 09:25 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MommaL For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I understand your point mommaL. It's definitely different for every family. I feel that if they chose me than they trust me, my judgement and my decisions. I don't like to live life worrying about "what if..." but I also take the appropriate safety measures when needed and am realistic (I think) in knowing the risks and accessing the situation. Does the benefit outweigh the risk kinda thing....

For now, this works for us and my current dc families. I adjust how I do things depending on my current group of kids and parents. If I had a parent that wanted 48 hours notice of field trips, than I'd try to accommodate that when possible for example.

I don't necessarily think that parents concerns with vehicle trips is an extreme example of hovering but it was just an example I picked. Children will often be in vehicles without parents and a parent would exhaust themselves worrying every time they are. An accident is an accident and can happen to anyone anywhere.....car, bus, walking, backyard etc etc etc with mom, dad, grandparents, dcprovider etc

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I had a client once that didn't want me to take her child on field trips. No problem as he didn't come on Fridays so I would plan for them that day. Then she said she felt that her son was missing out so she allowed me to take him on field trips after that. In the mean time I heard that she was letting the teenage neighbor girl drive him. So she trusted a teenager to drive but not her daycare provider?

I have both types of clients where they are quite trusting of me taking their child on field trips and another wanting to know exactly all the details of our trip. I'm finding more and more parents aren't as trusting. I had one client that never trusted me even though her children were here for 3 years and she knew how safety conscious I am.

Outgoing
    I appreciate this post so much ! I very much agree it's going to far with the "Hovering" I was just at a playgroup this am with 3 kids and my own 13 mo and there was a mom following her 2.5 yo around CONSTANTLY. Everything was padded for gosh sakes and other than a 3 foot high indoor type slide. Needles to say she "OMG GASP" when my 13 month old fell from a ride on car and I felt like the worst mom ever because I did not even go see her. She wasn't crying she moved on on her own ... but then I started thinking ... should I have picked her up just so I don't look like this big mean mom who doesn't care ? hahaha Problem is none of us should care what other people think. But I get it, I also don't go places sometimes just because I fear how people will judge me even though I am 100% capable of handling it. But honestly why visit a playgroup if YOU are the one playing and following your kids 100% of the time. Poor kid never has a chance to play with a child and have experiences of his own.

Thanks for posting hope you guys all have a great weekend!

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to crafty For This Useful Post:

You have the same ideals as i do, and honestly i refuse to take the hover parents just not worth it.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by crafty View Post
    ... but then I started thinking ... should I have picked her up just so I don't look like this big mean mom who doesn't care ?
    NO. Because what you were doing was being an example for the other parents. You were sitting calmly while your child went to explore the world. I often wonder if the parents who hover secretly know they are being ridiculous, and wish that they could stop.

I have a couple of Little Tykes ride-on cars, (the one with the roof) and every child who has been here as a toddler has at least once gotten stuck. Turned around backwards, on their knees, where they can't get up because the steering wheel is in their back and they are pushing with their feet and the car keeps rolling backwards. I just watch. They might be screeming bloody murder, and the other kids are wondering why I won't help, and I'm sure the parents would be horrified, but I just keep thinking about all the things the child is learning. Learning about their body, spacial relations, physics, problem solving, emotional control and of course the sense of satisfaction that they fixed it themselves! Why on earth would I take that away from them?