Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by CherryBlossom View Post
    I've already made changes to my daily routine to provide only two, slightly longer, outdoor times as suggested by everyone on here think I was trying to overcompensate for the smaller space somehow!
    I would also like to add that - especially when you're starting - to be flexible with your schedule and routine activities until you know your group. A long time outside in winter might sound like a good idea, but maybe one or two of the kids are potty training and can't go for long periods without peeing - so being out for 1.5 or 2 hours is actually setting them up for an accident.

When I first opened, my schedule was set that we had snack at 9, went out at 10-11 then in, tidy playroom and lunch. But, at that time, the kids were all here before 8. Over the next couple of years, the drop off times moved back and so most of the kids were dropped of after 8, some even after 9. I was having a really hard time getting them to tidy after coming in. What I realised was that they would arrive, play for a minute, have snack and then go outside, then have to tidy as soon as they came in. They never had any time to play in the playroom. It just wasn't working. So, my solution was to have playtime until 11, tidy, lunch and then go out after lunch. It was January, so we wouldn't be out for a long time anyway, and we would come in and get ready for nap at 1. It worked perfectly, and no more tidy up battles.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Thanks kindertime, as it stands now the outdoor times are 45 mins for the first one and 1 hour for the second. Obviously if it's extreme weather that will be adjusted to suit.
    I'm pretty flexible with my schedule and activities, and even my menus to be honest.