Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Babysitting vs Home Daycare

Is one considered an unlicensed (or licensed) home daycare when tax receipts are issued by caregivers, and is one a babysitter when the pay is 'under the table'?

If a parent is willing to pay the caregiver under the table, does that caregiver have to legally follow the new ratio regulations (i.e. 2 under 2, etc.)?

Euphoric !
    A babysitter does not provide receipts. However, I think they are still expected to claim their income (like servers are with their tips) but I'm not 100% sure on this.

I would think it would be hard to find a handful of parents who would agree to not getting any receipts so it wouldn't be as viable as just calling yourself a hdc and taking the legal steps for doing so.

If one is a hdcp already, no they can not take a child "under the table" and have different rules for that one family

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

If you are in Ontario, the new law states a babysitter is someone who does 10 hrs or less of occasional care per week.
    If you are caring for children 11 hrs or more per week on a regular basis you are a childcare provider and must follow the law. If you provided care under the table you are operating illegally.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Babysitting is income and all income is supposed to be claimed. It often isn't but I am pretty certain the government isn't going to be forgiving of a grown adult, working full time and calling themselves a babysitting to avoid paying taxes. They may forgive a teen who babysits occasionally.

you set yourself up for trouble by trying to stay under the table. You can agree to not give receipts with a family but come tax time they can demand it and you legally have to give it. If you cut them a deal with lower fees for under the table you will now be out that extra pay and still paying taxes.

I am not 100% sure on the legalities of ratios etc but I am quite certain if you are in Ontario and are caring for multiple children regularly you are considered a home daycare no matter what you want to call yourself and you will be fined. They have made it pretty clear that ignorance of the rules will not mean you get off without being fined!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    Lee-Bee is right. People think if they call themselves babysitters they don't have to follow the law. Not true. If you take care of the children on a regular basis for more than 10 hours a week you are a childcare provider and must claim income and pay taxes on it. You also need to follow the rules re: ratios, ages sand numbers allowed in care.

It is illegal to not issue a receipt for services rendered. Even if a parent "agrees" to it, even if they are paying a lower fee as a deal to not get a receipt, that income still legally must be reported. If the parent tuned around at tax time and decided they wanted a receipt (and why wouldn't they want to claim and get credit for childcare expenses?) a provider cannot refuse to issue one.

I see ads all the time offering regular "babysitting," usually by moms on mat leave wanting to supplement their EI with daycare income and not claim it. This too is illegal, as you can only make an extra $50/week on top of EI before you're legally required to claim it.\

This is why decent providers have a bad rep - we are all painted with the same brush and lumped in with people trying to make a quick buck and skirt the law. It's ridiculous.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrazyEight For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by NewMom07 View Post
    Is one considered an unlicensed (or licensed) home daycare when tax receipts are issued by caregivers, and is one a babysitter when the pay is 'under the table'?

If a parent is willing to pay the caregiver under the table, does that caregiver have to legally follow the new ratio regulations (i.e. 2 under 2, etc.)?
    A babysitter is someone who watches children irregularly - date night, etc - and isn't able to depend on regular income.

Anyone who watches children on daily basis, even if different children, is a day home, regardless what she calling herself.

If a parent willing to pay under the table, they are selfish and risk that carer losing her business and the carer is stupid to permit risking her business. Whether paid under table or not, the rules apply.

I not heard something so ridiculous as to ask if it illegal based on form of pay.

The regs are about child care and ratios are for safety. The regs not care how someone paid or if they declaring income. CRA are people who interested in undeclared income, not the department.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 12-14-2015 at 05:38 PM.

Shy
    I have one parent who constantly refers to be as a babysitter....uhhhh check yourself lady I am not 16 and I dont just watch your kid while you and your husband have date night! I'm here Monday to Friday 7-5 I am a registered ece and have been running a home daycare four almost four years. That being said I have babysat for an old client the odd Saturday night when I do that I am babysitting!
    This is probably my biggest pet peeve. It makes me feel about an inch small and like my credentials dont matter! Plus if I am a babysitter than order me a pizza, give me all the snacks and me and your kids will watch movies all day lol

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daycarelady2 For This Useful Post: