Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Christmas Presents

Happy Monday everyone!

Now that the holidays are approaching, I've been meaning to ask how everyone feels about Christmas gifts? I hear and read all these amazing gifts that past providers have received - even from my local friend providers tell me of receiving cash, gift cards and a weekly pay raise while I sit here and scratch my head.

For the past 2 years, since my open date and going through about 16 different families (part time, seasonal, full time, night time, etc) I have received 1 homemade treat that consisted of dried egg noodles smothered in chocolate sauce that gave me food poisoning on Christmas Eve..

I always make sure to send children home with 1 wrapped gift and 1 loot bag full of toys, treat and some baked goods and festive playdough which works out to about $25/child.

Am I doing too much? Should I even be expecting anything from families?

My clients (who have been with me for the past 6months-1 year) always tell me how much they love coming here but no one ever shows any kind of appreciation. Don't get me wrong, I'm not asking for fancy gifts but I would feel appreciated even if I received a box of mints.

Euphoric !
    Are you doing too much? Only you can answer this. Are you doing it because you want too, feel obligated too, expect something in return? Etc

I give each child a gift because I want too and because I love them I don't expect anything in return however, yes most of my families have given very generous gifts. If I didn't get anything though, I'd still do it!!

It's up to you to decide if you want to give gifts and how much to spend. I find by not expecting anything, I'm always blown away with what I do get. I am definitely a giver though

3. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I was typing a reply, but having a lot of trouble with what I was trying to say. I could just copy and paste 5LM answer. I give gifts to the kids because I love giving gifts. I do get very nice gifts from most of the families, but I would never expect it. Especially since money is tight for a lot of people at this time of year. I'm happy with a card that shows they were thinking of me.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    We were talking about this at a party on Friday actually! A friend of mine said she couldn't imagine not giving her dcp's something but I said I can totally understand why some may not. Christmas is already an expensive time for most and if it came down to finances, I can understand why some choose just to give to family. I'm totally okay with a card and thoughtful words they write!

Starting to feel at home...
    Oh no, don't get me wrong. I don't expect anything and I definitely don't give gifts to children just because I am expecting something from their parents. Christmas to me is a time of giving and I love to give my kids here something to take home. Just reading all previous threads made me feel unappreciated (again, not asking for anything fancy ). I also appreciated my homemade noodle gift that I previously mentioned but it's obviously not the same as someone who would receive a gift of $100 to a restaurant. In a previous post on daycare bear many were wanting cash and gift cards vs a card, wine, candle holder, home made treats etc. And this post isn't a matter of getting fancy gifts it's simply wanting to get a card just anything. One card in two years is a little upsetting

Euphoric !
    ^^ totally understandable!! Even if money is tight, a card with a heartfelt message from them costs almost nothing but to most (if not all!!) of us is SO appreciated!!

I keep all my cards and have them in my parent package binder to use as references. I really truly love them I can understand why it would be hurtful to not even get a card

Expansive...
    I have one family with 2 very good incomes, and their child is special needs, and have been with me 1.5 years, and I don't even get a card or a piece of homemade art from the child/family. That makes me feel like a doormat.

Outgoing
    I'm sure it does make you feel that way Busy ECE mommy......some people just have their priorities mixed up a bit....you have to wonder what goes through people's minds or what they are thinking....that's right....THEY AREN'T THINKING! LOL