Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How much trouble would I have finding clients as a male ??

Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this question..

I recently lost my job, my girlfriend works full time as a manager at a cash store. The last couple months I have largely been assuming the role of stay at home dad watching our 5 year old, but my savings and unemployment insurance aren't going to last forever.

Originally I saw how much my girlfriend was paying for her child care and knowing how much she hated her job I suggested that as an option for her. Later I started thinking why couldn't I do the same thing? I'm 23 and don't have much experience but I have learned a lot about dealing with kids in the last 6 months, and I think am capable of learning a lot more.

I'm pretty good looking , Im not intimidating or scary or suspicious looking but I'm fairly socially awkward. I checked laws in my local area and I could take care of up to 6 children without a license. Minus one, thats 5. Child care in the area is usually around $45 a day. My lady pays $30 a day, and the sitter doesn't even play with her or anything, she just sits there and watches TV.

I'm thinking I could do better than that, we have a lot of toys, lots of fun stuff, I like to play, I like to cook. I figure I could charge $25 a kid a day, cheaper than anybody else. 5x25 that's enough for now until I get some more experience under my belt. I'm looking into getting us a new place for this purpose. I'm also planning to take a first aid course first. I don't have a criminal record

There's one big problem : I'm male

I would like to know how much of a hurdle this is going to be to overcome, from some people who would know. Any information would be helpful including some general tips if you think it is worth going for.

Euphoric !
    Being male shouldn't be a hurdle for you but unfortunately, with some, it may be. That is on them though and shouldn't discourage you from doing this, IF it's truly what you want to do and feel you can do well.

If the rate is around $45 though, don't charge $25! This undermines you and makes parents (the good ones IMO anyways) question why you're charging so much less. I think $30-35 would be better. You want this to be profitable, not just extra spending money right?

Before opening, make sure you're doing this for the right reasons and be prepared to explain this to potential clients. Males in this profession aren't as common but it's certainly not unheard of

Euphoric !
    I think if you were male with a ton of experience you would have an easier time. You have zero job experience with children, I think this could be pretty difficult. That being said, you don't mention what your job experience is in. Maybe if you just did before and after school because your own child is in school and target the male population of students that live near you e.g. after school lego club, robotics etc. Lot's of single mothers in particular are looking for positive male role models for their sons/daughters.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

I would check out the website www.homedaycarebusiness.weebly.com it has a list of questions to ask yourself before starting a home daycare. It also has information about contracts and forms.

I wouldn't under charge. That will stop good parents from coming and once you pay for all your daycare experiences you will have nothing left for yourself. There is a reason why we charge as much as we do, running our own business is not cheap.

As for being a male.... some parents will not care, others will.

Euphoric !
    I would not undercharge. Lot new carer think charging under market value is good thing but it not. First, you will have expenses you maybe not considered. Flushing toilets use water, heat all day use power/oil/wood, insurance, toy get damaged with lot children and need replace, crib or pack n play or cot for sleeping, bedding, and food if it normally provided in your area.

$25 not much to work 10 or more hour day when you have all these expense and still have pay tax, CPP and maybe EI.

Big issue with offer cheap care, is it undervalue your time. After all expenses, it under $1 an hour. It send message to parent that your service not worth market value and the type client it attract will believe that your service not worth proper rate. It deter lot of people but the type people who undervalue their childcare are the same people who will pay late, pick up late, leave without notice and have no regard for your time or property. These not client you want unless you able to work and not be paid.

Daycare not cheap to provide even with group parent contributing to your income, it often less than min wage. If you under charge, you will quit within few month because you not able pay own bills.

There expense you can claim off your taxes - but unlike employment, you not getting refund cheque at year end. Expenses come off your taxable income and reduce the tax you paying, but even if you get tax bill to zero which not common, there no lump sum refund. Lot people think end year claim expenses and big cheque coming in but that never happen. Not able claim more expenses than tax amount would pay and when at zero, no credit given.

For example, I charge $38.00. After expenses, working 50 week last year with 5 children in care, I earned under $20,000 for 60 hour week, every week.
    Last edited by Suzie_Homemaker; 12-22-2015 at 06:27 AM.

I'm going to be honest here....as a mother...I would not send my child to a 23 year old male with no childcare experience. Sorry I know we all want to be 'supportive' of each other on these boards, but lets all be honest...how comfortable would you all be with a male provider?? Truthfully.

Childcare is competitive as well...You will have difficulty filling those spots. I'm sure you're a wonderful person and much love and nurturing to give. BUT most parents will have a lot of difficulty getting past the fact that you are Male, young and no experience.

Just throwing it out there.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

I think torontokids has a great idea. I was going to say the same thing!
    Most parents with babies and toddlers probably will have issues choosing you. Some because ur male but others because of no experience. But.....if u offer a school age program u will probably have better luck! U have your days off ...u would offer before and after school care. You would then have them on pd days, Christmas and march break and during the summer. U can do and probably offer a lot more to that age group. Soccer, hockey, swimming, science experiments, etc and etc. Also parents will feel more comfortable as their kids are older and can talk if something went wrong. Also you will be giving your school age daughter some playmates!

Euphoric !
    I would not have issue with male care. I would have issue with inexperienced carer, no group care experience, and limited time as FT parent so not long having even own child all day. These concern regardless of gender.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I agree with Suzie. I think the inexperience will be more of a hurdle.

There are males working in centres, I went to school with males taking their ECE and interestingly, most of the teachers were males who had/are worked in the field.

Males offer things that we females don't. If you've ever worked in centres, it's kinda neat to see the differences. The males were always the "popular" staff among the kids too!

Thanks for the responses... And honesty
    I also like the after school idea , especially to begin with. I know it depends on area but are the rates usually similar here or less ?