Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    I am off on Christmas Eve now as no one is coming but will still be paid. TECHNICALLY, if anyone needs me that day, I have to open or give their money back. They all have confirmed their days here and they all know I have no kids that day so I know none of them will come BUT if they needed too, yes they have the right to come. They would tell me a day or 2 before though

In this case, if the dad wanted to come, I'd offer his money back. If he was just saying this to be annoying I'd say "I have no children that day so I'm off" end of story. I don't need to tell them my plans for days off

Since he knows about the appt, I would just let him know it was made after you knew no one was coming. I agree with suzie, sounds like a misunderstanding and dad just wants clarification. I don't think there's anything wrong with that and feel it's fine for him to ask about how the fee will be applied that day.
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 12-22-2015 at 08:35 AM.

Outgoing
    Actually suzie_homemaker, I DON'T treat every action a client does as negative, not sure where that comment is coming from....anyways...I am not a negative person and DO NOT choose to be negative in my life! I was really just looking for some feedback and thoughts on the situation and if you are someone who chooses to stay home (in the event that someone comes at the last minute)...that's ok too...MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU

Outgoing
    5 little monkeys...thanks for your thoughts I guess unless one knows these people....it is difficult to understand (with these people) that it is CLEARLY NOT A MISUNDERSTANDING...A m I to have to clarify AGAIN every morning of the days that they said THEY WEREN'T coming to see if they changed their minds AGAIN.. THATS JUST WRONG...SORRY.....ME RRY CHRISTMAS
    Last edited by sandylynn; 12-22-2015 at 08:56 AM.

Euphoric !
    Re:staying home

If I know no one is here on a day, I will casually mention it to parents just so they don't wake up and think "oh, maybe I'll take you to dc today after all". This way, they know that if they want to come, I need a day or 2 notice. No one has ever asked to come though so it's not been an issue. But if I accept money for the day, they do have the right to come

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    So ...if they don't give you the 2 days notice....and you take that day off (because everyone said they don't need you)....do you expect to be paid?
    Last edited by sandylynn; 12-22-2015 at 09:03 AM.

Euphoric !
    And they stay home? Yes, I'm paid for the day

If they didn't give notice and asked to come that day the morning of, I'd look at what I was doing. If I wanted the day off, I'd give their money back. If I wasn't doing anything, I'd let them come. Depending on my errands, it wouldn't be a big deal (to me) to have a child join me for the day.

My cut off time is 9:30am. If parents arrive after this time they find the door locked. This is in my policies so that would be moot. I'm not a drop in baby sitter to accept children at various hours. If the client came prior to 9:30am I would either accept the child into care or reiterate that they told me they would not be coming so I made other plans. I would then credit them their daily fee onto the following week.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Other Mummy For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    In this case, if the father told me that he wanted to bring his child after all before knowing that I had an appointment, then I would either reschedule my appointment or offer to return the fee. If on the other hand, I brought up the subject about having an appointment and that's why the father asked if he still had to pay, then I would do as you did and let the father know that the appointment was booked after everyone had confirmed that they would not be coming. But, to be honest, if the father made a big fuss about it, I would probably offer to return his fee or even a partial fee (if the appointment was only going to take up part of the day) just to avoid an argument. It just wouldn't be worth it to me since technically I should be available that day if I'm getting paid for it and was not taking it off as a vacation day.
    Last edited by MommaL; 12-22-2015 at 10:48 AM.

Starting to feel at home...
    I also wanted to mention that if this is a scenario that happens rather frequently that I'd probably add something to my policies about "for planning purposes, parents have to provide ___ days of notice if they need to change their child's schedule for care" (or something along those lines). That way that can't change their mind and it gives you the ability to make plans without worrying about people questioning it.

Euphoric !
    I ask for everyone's Christmas schedule by December 1st. I always double check a few times with families. This year I ended up with a week off paid. It probably would be a good idea to add it into my contract that once I receive their Christmas break schedule it cannot be changed. Then there would be no worries in making appointments/plans.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post: