Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Closing...

Closing...

Thinkin seriously of closing...have had no luck finding the families and the ones I have now are just keeping me afloat! Been advertising since November...thought about getting licensed but it's costing me a lot and I don't know if I'll get families. Guess that's the risk you have to take, but I just don't have the money to invest in this right now! Hopefully this is the right decision!

Euphoric !
    Things have been pretty slow around here too although in the last week I have talked to a few people looking for the fall and just beginning to think about what they want to do. They were looking for childcare info in general more than if I had a space but at least it was a contact.

Have you talked to some other caregivers that are licensed to see if it is something that parents seem to need as in have parents said they will go with the other person just because they are licensed. Are there other sources for families that would open up to you if you got licensed such as from referral agencies.

It is hard to think of a caregiver having to close and give up their passion just because the economy in some areas stinks. Wish I had some better ideas for you. Is there something you could do in addition to your daycare such as selling avon or discovery toys or something like that. The toy idea is one a friend of mine was using just to make some extra money but once she started doing it she came in contact with lots of families and ended up getting more kids for her daycare because the parents loved the type of toys she was offering. Not saying it will always work that way but mihgt be an option.

I have spoken with other providers in the area (licensed and not) but it seems that it is pretty slow right now. That could be attributed to the fact that a lot of people are laid off or working part-time...who knows!
    It's a combo of things and right now I feel defeated, so as much as I love being home with my kids, some sacrifices have to be made
    I might however look into the discovery toys, haven't heard of that yet!

Thanks for the support

Outgoing
    Ive been thinking about this a lot lately too. For me though, its more about it not being what I thought it would be like. I have been really stressed lately and find that my own kids are not getting as much attention from me as they should be. Its a really hard decision to make when you have other families to think of too.

Starting to feel at home...
    We are told constantly that there is a child care crisis in BC, but when I speak with other family caregivers they are telling me that they are not getting the calls for families looking for care. We have many centres in our area and parents don't seem to care that there are so many children cared for in one room that there is not the time for one on one with their child.

One of the centres has televisions, WII, XBox 360 and computers that are going constantly. This centre is located in a mall area and there is no playground area to play in. I have heard a parent say that they like the fact that their child has access to lots of electronic games and tv, and that they don't care if they get play time outside. I am finding that parents like the convenience of the centres and they are not looking at the full picture as to what a child needs to develop.
    I don't know if this is the case in your area, but you may want to put together a website, talk to parents at the shopping mall (pass out cards), offer something unique in your daycare (maybe yoga, music lesson, dance lesson, etc.). I don't like to hear that a childcare is closing because of lack of business. Good luck.

Expansive...
    I am so sorry you are in this spot.

I wish you good luck in whatever you choose to do

Sad that the majority of us posting are from BC. What does that mean, hmmm? I am in the same vote and feel it has to do a lot with all day kindergarten. If I had more full time spaces open then financially it would be more worth it. Instead I'm forced to take on more little ones which makes for a more exhausting day. Don't get me wrong, I love it and it's paying my bills but it's a tough industry right now. I have found CCRR has been my best advertising however you need to be licensed or registered. Good Luck !!!

Could it be that its just a slow time of year?

I've only been doing daycare consistantly for a year now so I dont really know, but, when I try to start 2 years ago in Jan 09, and had advertised for months, not getting any calls (mind you I was a brand new) once July hit I filled all my spots to start in Sept, within a week or two, and looked after kids on a week to week basis over the summer covering other provider's vacations. I was actually turning people away. Long story but I found myself starting from scratch advertising again in Feb '10, found 1 family in Apr '10 and didnt find anymore until, July, when I filled all my spots to start mid Aug. There always seems to be a ton of houses going up for sale in the spring here and I guess the new families move in over the summer and need new daycare arrangements, if you can stay afloat a few more weeks, maybe you'll start to get some more interest...

When we're new, people are hesitant to use you as a provider. Luckily, I've had the one for almost a year, and another child for a couple of months. I was told from 'experienced' caregivers to give it at least a year to become known. Keep advertising, even when you're full!

Just two weeks ago, I had lots of 'hits' of parents looking for daycare, and then it's died down again.

Sorry to hear of the situation you're in, and that you should choose what's best for you!

Thank you all for your kind thoughts, support and ideas It is wonderful to have support within the childcare community!