Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

Boxing Day falls under the a Saturday ?

Hi everyone!

Quick question for those providers in Ontario. What happens if Boxing Day falls under a Saturday? Do we get the Monday off is it just a tough luck type of thing since it fell under the weekend and we miss out on a star day?

Please help

I have it in my contract that if a stat holiday falls on the weekend, I take the Monday after in lieu of the holiday. Even if I didn't, I would still take the day, as all my families have at least one parent off that day

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsmom For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    As a self employed person you are not covered by the Employee Standards Act so are technically not "entitiled" to anything. You need to make sure your contract covers any and all holiday scenarios in which you will require payment.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Wonderwiper For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Labour Standard rule not apply to self-employed, only to employer/employee relationship. What happen for Boxing day will depend on your personal contract.

If you missed this, then sort for next year because it happen again.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Like others, it's in my contract that if a holiday falls on a weekend, I will be off the following Monday in lieu of

I've never had it written in my contract that if a stat fell on a wkend I get the follow mon off. It's just common sense in my area. Everyone else that works gets the mon off so I take it as well. No one ever questioned me on it yet and just know I'm closed the Monday if a stat was on the sat or sun.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by babydom View Post
    I've never had it written in my contract that if a stat fell on a wkend I get the follow mon off. It's just common sense in my area. Everyone else that works gets the mon off so I take it as well. No one ever questioned me on it yet and just know I'm closed the Monday if a stat was on the sat or sun.
    But if they wanted to argue it, and they can because we self-employed, should have it covered.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suzie_Homemaker For This Useful Post:

Yes correct

If you are closed on stat holidays then I'm not sure why you need to set it place that you would take it off in the following Monday if the stat automatically falls on a Monday? How does this stat holiday thing work? Does everyone that normally gets Boxing Day off if it fell during the weekly automatically get Monday off? If so then it's an automatic stat and if they question it its all over the Internet the Monday falls under a stat?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie_Homemaker View Post
    But if they wanted to argue it, and they can because we self-employed, should have it covered.

But she can also argue the fact that she is self employed and due to that she can do as she sees fit because at the end it's her business and therefore if they don't like it they can leave. If it wasn't common for people to get it off in all honesty I would stay open that day but if every Ne gets it off just like every other start day then too bad