Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

New to forum, frustrated!

I come from a small town. I have been frustrated with alot of providers that are over the childcare limits. This has been since September, they have had time to change. No one in my town seem to care about the new childcare legislation in my province. What am I suppose to do? Should I let it go? Providers are 2-5 children over before and after school. I have made a complaint, but the ministry visited the providers during school hours, so the providers were not over the limits when they made their visit!
    Last edited by caretoomuch; 01-02-2016 at 09:10 PM.

Tell me about it. I see it all the time and it makes me soooo mad! One one my daycare girls grandma does home daycare also but the baby comes to me because grandma lives 45mins away. I was talking to baby's mom at pick up one day and asked how her mom was doing with the new rules. She said "oh she's fine she has ten kids so she just gets my sister to come help." I was like its five kids per house not per adult. And she said oh well she's in a small town no one will say anything and she charges cheap so that's why everyone goes to her for daycare. I'm like well she better be careful. So frustrating for the ones that do follow the rules. Urgh!!! It's caregivers like that, that we are in this position to begin with! With the new rules!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    That is so sad for the kids who are in over-crowded home daycares and everyone turns a blind eye until something bad happens like a death of a child

Euphoric !
    This same in every province. See lot of over ratio carers here too. Partly parent not educated and know ratios, partly parent not care. If it any comfort, I not see these people as competition. I am not competing with illegal dayhome offering cheap care to keep parent turn blind eye to over numbers.

Expansive...
    I've seen it frequently here too in the Southern Ontario area(GTA)
    I don't think parents care any more. I've found lately that they all want bargain basement prices(lower than when I started 10 yrs ago!) I'm a firm believer in "you get what you pay for."
    If someone is at the low end or cheaper than the norm around here, that's a red flag for me, but not everyone sees it that way.

Euphoric !
    It definitely happens everywhere. There are plenty of hdc's who go over but even though they are running illegally, I don't necessarily think that the kids are in danger. It's more just the dcprovider will get in trouble if caught. I don't understand how they can say one province can safely watch 8 children but another province is only capable of 4

Some don't care, some don't know the rules and some are still old school and just view them as babysitters or the neighbourhood mom. Doesn't make it right but it happens

I focus on myself and be the best provider I can be. This pays off as word of mouth is the best advertising! Someone can charge $10 a day but if it's crappy care the parents will leave. And if they don't, it's not a family I'd want anyways On the other hand, if it's a good daycare and the parents are happy and don't mind the risk of it being shut down tomorrow, that's their decision. It's definitely frustrating but I like to live as stress free as I can so I try not to let it bother me. Karma usually does it's job

Outgoing
    Yes I agree it's very frustrating. It's the very reason I have a low ration and bored most days because I am waiting to be able to care for a child that is under 2 right now and I will only have room for that child in the spring. However I found out his current daycare provider is over ration ... Ugh !

I tell myself that although it may not be fair it's also not the type of daycare provider I want to be. I don't think the children are in arms way. I've been able to care for 7 kids all under 4 and it was the best time we've ever had but I still think it's important to follow regulations as others mention. If we don't and then something horrible happens they will be pointing fingers at ALL of us.

Expansive...
    can you let the parents know that you can take the child sooner as you only have ____ kids in care and then they will know that you have less children than the d/c he is in now and like him to be with you sooner

Euphoric !
    I agree crafty. I try to follow all rules in life but I'm not perfect ....example, speeding lol (when no dck's!!) Aside from reporting every dcprovider and making yourself crazy, what can you do? I inform those who ask and try to educate as many as I can about hdc rules but at the end of the day, I only have to worry about myself.

In almost every profession, there are shady employers/employees who try to cheat and rip off the gov't and break rules. It's sad but it's reality. They will get what they deserve in due time IMO

Shy
    All my bills have doubled in the past 8 years and I worry about being able to afford life with the spots the government allows 8 years down the road. The government is not going to allow us to have more spots as the cost of living rises. I thought about going private just so I can take on more kids. I can certainly handle a couple more children. It's the government's fault that there are so many private daycares hoarding children since having 5 spots isn't much money. I sure don't agree with having 20 kids in care, but I could handle 10 kids. Caring for kids isn't rocket science. They let teachers have 30 kids per classroom and they survive.