Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Formula mixing

Expansive...

Formula mixing

I have had several interviews lately where the parents of 1 year olds have chosen to keep their kids on formula versus milk. I made it clear that it is to come pre-mixed and ready to serve, as I do not mix/measure etc. They seemed shocked that I wouldn't do this. When I worked in a centre, it had to be ready to serve, and we were not responsible for mixing it. Is it unreasonable to expect parents to send it already prepared? Thoughts?

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy ECE mommy View Post
    I have had several interviews lately where the parents of 1 year olds have chosen to keep their kids on formula versus milk. I made it clear that it is to come pre-mixed and ready to serve, as I do not mix/measure etc. They seemed shocked that I wouldn't do this. When I worked in a centre, it had to be ready to serve, and we were not responsible for mixing it. Is it unreasonable to expect parents to send it already prepared? Thoughts?
    You work for yourself so set your own rules :-)

In the past I had one family leave a can of formula powder here and a big jug of distilled water. They also left one bottle. I just made it as needed and they restock when I requested. It was easy...scoop, pour, shake.

Another family sent bottles with the powder measured in them and I filled with tap water.

Truthfully I prefer it that way then them sending it premade. If they make it it needs to stay in the fridge...and be used within a set time. Then you typically have to warm it up. More work in the long run!

Euphoric !
    I will mix. I didn't used to but those choose keep on formula longer, sometimes that child want it and sometimes not. If it come mixed, then times it get thrown away end of day.

Some parent mix. Some parent pre-measure water and send little divided container with pre-measured formula need add to water, some just send a can of formula. I not often take more than one little so not big deal, to me. Not take any more time than wiping bottom of potty training child. There time in day I spend couple minutes doing task for one particular child, I not see this as any different.

Starting to feel at home...
    I personally hate warming up milk that's been in the fridge (seems to take forever LOL) and find that it's quicker and easier to mix. I can also understand that some parents might be worried about wasting formula if it's not used that day. However, I don't think that your request is unreasonable or shocking in any way and many daycare providers request the same. I think that you should continue to do whatever you are most comfortable with.

I make them bring ready to go bottles. I hate mixing them. I used to be with an agency and they told parents that the bottles had to be ready to serve. So no you are not being unreasonable. I am finding that parents are just lazy these days. They want everyone else to do all their parenting for them.

Euphoric !
    I don't do bottles at all ...formula or otherwise ( unless to young for solids or a medical reason) most children at 11-12 months are eating all food groups and therefore don't need formula as well they are quite capable of drinking out of a sippy cup (again unless a medical reason) so there is no need for a bottle ... However to answer your question if the formula was powdered and it came preportioned then yes I would dump the water in and give it to them after the meal but while still in the high chair ... No rocking..... However formula is a meal replacement so the child will often not eat solids and hold out for the bottle
    Last edited by Crayola kiddies; 01-05-2016 at 03:15 PM.

I mix it. A can of formula and bottle stays here. I scoop, add tap water, shake and serve when needed. Takes a min....just as long to pour a sippy cup of juice.

Expansive...
    One parent likes to bring in a few bottles with the formula in them so I just add tap water when needed, she use to leave the big can of formula here but I like the bottles ready rather then a big can here as I find when I need it I am rushed and spill it LOL , others bring in a few milk bottles with mild and I keep them in the fridge

Euphoric !
    For myself, there are certain things that I don't like to tell parents on how and what to do. One of those things is age of bottle feeding and formula vs milk. Their child, their preference and in MY opinion, part of the job is to accommodate if possible.

In the past, I had parents send premeasured bottles and I'd just add the water and shake. It really doesn't take me any extra time or work vs getting them a sippy cup ready. I have had premade bottles sent before but found them to be wasted as they had to be dumped after so many hours and if I forgot to send home they'd be wasted. Formula is expensive so I didn't like that as I'd feel guilty! Lol

In the last centre I was at, parents sent formula and water and we mixed.

Euphoric !
    I ask for pre made bottles. That being said I have in my contract all kids need to be weaned off the bottle during daycare hours by 18 months. What they do at home is up to them, here we drink out of sippy cups early and eat more food then filling up on a bottle. I have lucked out and the last 3 I have signed up all breastfeed so no issues with bottles.