Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Information on startup of a HDC

Hi Everyone,

My wife is interested in starting up a HDC in the Etobicoke area. We would be living in a condo - I am wondering if anyone has any resources that we can start looking into.

Our daughter was born 5 months ago and we're trying to set this up for when she is 11 months old and my wife's maternity leave is up and she would prefer to be at home with our daughter full time, and is very interested in starting a HDC.

Advice would be appreciated for someone who's starting this up for the first time.

Thanks all

Starting to feel at home...
    I'll let someone who lives in your province respond with any information or resources related to starting a daycare in your province. However, I've actually been finding this forum to be the best resource in terms of giving me ideas of what I want my daycare to be like, understanding what to expect in a home daycare and things I should include in a parent handbook or contact. So definitely make sure that you and your wife check this site out.

I do have a word of advice though. Your wife should make sure that this is something she really wants to do and not because it allows her stay at home with your daughter. She should ask herself: is this something that she would consider doing if she didn't have children? If not, then she should really think more about it. I know of several daycares that didn't last because the main reason for it's opening was so that the mom could be at home. But the daycare provider soon realized that it really wasn't something they enjoyed or were cut out for. I was in your wife's shoes with both of my children. I too didn't want to leave them to go back to work. But as hard as it was, I'm actually glad that I did go back to work and that my children spent some time in daycare because it's helped me take the emotional aspect out of the decision. I'm now opening a daycare because I actually want to and it has nothing to do with my own children.

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice,

She's definitely wanting to do this - even if we didn't have kids already. I think being with our daughter has shown her how much she enjoys being around kids - even if they aren't her own.

Euphoric !
    I would caution you to check with your condo rules before starting. Some condos do not allow you to run a business from your home. Some condos set limits with how many children you can have (that differ from the Ontario laws, one lady on here can only have 3 children versus the 5 she would otherwise be allowed to have).

It would be wise to check and get approval in writing NOW before she gives up her job when her mat leaves ends.

Check out your condo rules, get it in writing form the condo's head office NOT the office manager.

Check out www.homedaycarebusiness.com

It has an outline on the Ontario laws, and other information about starting/running a home daycare.

Euphoric !
    A few tips...

Set the daycare space up now, before you do interviews. Parents wants to see it as a daycare not just hear what you plan to do.

Know that it usually takes up to a full year to get to full capacity. The first family to sign on is the hardest...families prefer a daycare that is up and running versus a brand new one. You will likely find it easy to fill your second under 2yrs space (as those are limited in the province now) but the spaces for children over age 2 are quite hard to fill. Most children that age are already in care. You might be best to try and hold out for a family coming off maternity leave that has a 1yr old plus an older sibling...then 2 spaces get filled, including one of your trickier over age 2 spots.

Have a solid, detailed contract ready before any interviews. It needs to cover everything, be extremely clear and stick to it. Your contract protects you...start it now and make it solid.

Be very choosy about the families you sign on. You and your child will spend 50-ish hours a week with the children and you will have daily contact with the parents. YOU are running a business and they are your clients. You do not work for them, they do not set the rules, they do not set the fees, the hours of care etc...you set all this they abide by it. Do not forget this.

Be prepared to chase your pay cheque, to inform parents they are late and it is not acceptable, to call parents for pick up in the middle of the day for sick children. Be prepared for parents to send sick children (when they know better). Your contract needs to clearly lay out all expectations and you need to firmly call parents out when they try to get away with stuff (and they do). The business aspect of this career is a full time job and at times is tiring, frustrating and just plain upsetting but you NEED to insist your contract is followed 100% of the time or you lose control.

Be careful when trying to fill spaces it is easy to try and fill it by accepting a family that needs longer hours...15minutes doesn't seem like a lot when you need to fill a space but most of the time you come to resent those 15minutes...they really do make the day hours longer. Be choosy.

Note that children transitioning into require a good 2 weeks (sometimes 4-6) before they are settled in. This often means crying...for hours, every day. It can mean children not sleeping, not eating and it means a long stressful day for you and the other children. It is normal, the vast majority of kids do it...you'll learn to deal with it and ways to minimize the screaming...or tune it out. But, don't expect the kids to just happily come each day during the transition period (it happens but is not the norm).

Don't expect to have a clean house. You will not have time for house keeping while doing home daycare. After a few years you might luck out with a group that allows you to do cooking and cleaning. But, expect for the first year that any and ALL house work (cleaning, laundry, cooking) will be done outside of daycare hours. You might get a bit done during nap...if you don't need a nap yourself.

Keep every single receipt. Log everything. record, record, record. Find a tax person to handle your taxes...at least for a few years.

In the beginning advertise that you have space available but don't say "4 space" that just says you are new and have no kids. Many will pass without meeting you. Avoid saying "brand new daycare" in your ads. They will figure this out when the come for an interview and be ready to assure them you are a good choice...but don't scare them off before they contact you.

Parents will want to see your outdoor space. They will expect you to go outside once or twice a day for long periods. You mention a condo...do you have an outdoor space? Is it right at your door or will you need to get the kids to it. How do you plan to do this? Have answers to possible scenarios ready.

What are your plans for emergencies, if there is a fire? Some parents ask...be ready to answer. Think ahead to anything you would ask a home daycare for your daughter...they will ask you that and more.

Be ready to discuss a schedule, food, outings, your vacation. How will you handle naps. Will you allow bottles and soothers. Will you have tv time.

Will you just take full time children, or will you accept part time (it can be hard to refill part time spots once the other parts are filled - it helps immediately but can be an issue long term). Will you take before and after school children (less income as they take up a space).

There is plenty more but that is a start of things to think about and be ready for!
    Overall just note that unless you plan to take on one child...this is a huge thing to take on and the more prepared you are the better off you will be.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post: