Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Starting to feel at home...

What do you charge when you close early?

I would like to know if I am wrong charging parents their daily rate, if I close early for an appointment?

I am open 7 to 6, mon thru fri. I don't charge late fees and don't charge if you need an earlier morning drop off. I do not charge days that I am off or my vacation. I do not give discounts for early pick ups and I charge half price for any scheduled days off and their vacation time off. I always make appointments away daycare hours, but I couldn't for this one. It's at the hospital, so they give you the time. I will still open, but close at 2 pm. Parents asked me if they still had to pay me full daily price because of the early closure and I said yes. Am I being unfair?

Thanks in advance

I don't change my rate for any reason. I have it set up that they pay the same every two weeks. It doesn't matter if they are away, I am closed or if I close early. Basically they pay a tuition.

I don't feel that you are being unfair. Do you have anything in your contract that states you will give a discount if you close early?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I am like you....pretty much, except...I charge for every day they take off...for WHATEVER reason their child does not come...they pay..including if they go on vacation. if they take 2 weeks vacation....they have to put up 3 weeks at once (current week plus 2 weeks) BEFORE THEY GO ON VACATION, I have helped parents out if they need to come a little early....so YES....I would certainly charge the full day rate in this case (you don't make this a habit obviously)...

Euphoric !
    If I close at noon, it's half day. If I close after noon, it's full rate. They've had snack, lunch and I've been open more than half my hours

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    BlueRose....if you don't mind me asking...where in Ontario are you?

The ministry says that a full day rate is for six hours or more of care. Your open 7-2. That's 7hrs. I'd charge full rate. I personally charge full rate after 2pm and half day rate if I close before 2

9. The Following User Says Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    I don't change my rate for any reason. I have it set up that they pay the same every two weeks. It doesn't matter if they are away, I am closed or if I close early. Basically they pay a tuition.

I don't feel that you are being unfair. Do you have anything in your contract that states you will give a discount if you close early?
    I have a sentence in my payment policy that states "no discounts will be given for late drop off and early pick ups. " I think that is covers all points, or do I need to be specific (their could be numerous reasons) .

Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    I am like you....pretty much, except...I charge for every day they take off...for WHATEVER reason their child does not come...they pay..including if they go on vacation. if they take 2 weeks vacation....they have to put up 3 weeks at once (current week plus 2 weeks) BEFORE THEY GO ON VACATION, I have helped parents out if they need to come a little early....so YES....I would certainly charge the full day rate in this case (you don't make this a habit obviously)...
    No I don't, in fact I am having this exam because of not going to the doctors for many years. I see now that I am only human and my job shouldn't come before me.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to suzydominguez For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by sandylynn View Post
    BlueRose....if you don't mind me asking...where in Ontario are you?
    I am in the Ottawa area

Quote Originally Posted by suzydominguez View Post
    I have a sentence in my payment policy that states "no discounts will be given for late drop off and early pick ups. " I think that is covers all points, or do I need to be specific (their could be numerous reasons) .
    The way I read it is that if the client is dropping off late or picking up early they don't get a discount. As in they have decided to do this. It would also mean if you close early or open late, put it is left up to interpretation. Anything that is left up to interpretation, if you end up in court over it, you will loss and your client will win. You have to be very clear so there is no misunderstanding.

For now I would show them the contract and state that your contract states........ and see what they say. If they argue then I would give them a small discount. If they don't and are willing to still pay for the full day, then I would just take the money (trust me you have earned it) and fix your contract at renewal time to be on the safe side in the future.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post: