Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    The way I read it is that if the client is dropping off late or picking up early they don't get a discount. As in they have decided to do this. It would also mean if you close early or open late, put it is left up to interpretation. Anything that is left up to interpretation, if you end up in court over it, you will loss and your client will win. You have to be very clear so there is no misunderstanding.

For now I would show them the contract and state that your contract states........ and see what they say. If they argue then I would give them a small discount. If they don't and are willing to still pay for the full day, then I would just take the money (trust me you have earned it) and fix your contract at renewal time to be on the safe side in the future.
    Wow ! You are amazing blue rose !! Thank you, you are so right. I will do that and in May when the contract is up, I will re write it, would you be able to help me word it ?

Quote Originally Posted by suzydominguez View Post
    Wow ! You are amazing blue rose !! Thank you, you are so right. I will do that and in May when the contract is up, I will re write it, would you be able to help me word it ?
    check out my site www.homedaycarebusiness.weebly.com It has a copy of an older version of my contract, handbook and forms. If you want you can contact me through the site with any question. Just remind me that we talked on here.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueRose For This Useful Post:

Outgoing
    I did not give any families discounts for when I closed early for an appointment that allowed me to still be opened for the best part of the day. But I did feel a little unfair about the fact that I had to close so I gave parents I O U's in daycare services in the amount of time I closed to use for that calendar year. So if I closed an hour or 2 early then they could use it towards an early drop of or late picky up if they ever needed one. They did have to give me a 24 hour notice before. Anyway my parents appreciated it but if I remember correctly only one family ever used an early drop off.

Expansive...
    I would charge full rate at that point. You have served am snack and lunch, and run the core part of the programming in the morning. I revised my contract, so that even if I close at the 1/2 day point, I am paid about 75% of my daily rate. After that, the day is paid in full. I found I was bankrupting myself to get to an appointment, which is rediculous, as it is next to impossible to get to any appointments with a 10hr workday. My parents all understood when I revised the contract.
    I too, have put my health as a second priority, as I didn't want to inconvenience parents, and now I have several things to deal with health-wise. You are human, and are entitled to do the normal appointments that people do. All of my parents do it before or after work, or on their lunchbreak, obviously we don't get that luxury of time flexibility.
    Full rate, all the way!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I can see why there confusion if you charge a day rate and they not getting full day care. I agree that contract has to be clearer and I agree that since you give them your time outside hours without charge, why you think it only fair not to be deducted. I see both sides.

Problem is, your contract not clear that X hours = full day rate so even if closing little early, same rate apply.

I find when I first opened, over time, situation happen where my contract not clear enough to cover and so I amend each time this happen. I think you too should amend contract to say if you need close early, because you not charge for early drop or late pick up, that there expectation for full day fee still. Of course, you will get one family who will always drop early or pick up late once your contract permit this so you have decide if it worth it or if it better to just give slight discount when asked.

Euphoric !
    I have it in my contract that full days fee is due if I close early for appointments. I let them know that I do my best to get the last appointment of the day so I can be available for the majority of the day versus closing for a half day on them. It has never been an issue.

I would still charge a full day fee in your case...though I would generally do my best not to have to close right in the middle of nap time (I assume you didn't pick this time slot). It's life you do need to take care of yourself and you can only do that by making the occasional appointment during daycare hours. It is a part of choosing home daycare.

Starting to feel at home...
    Thank you everyone for your advice and support. I was pretty confident that I was in the right of charging full rate, but sometimes when I am questioned I start to doubt myself and think that maybe I am being unfair. I only recently started to treat my daycare more as a business rather than being too nice and bending over just a little too much for clients and in the end feeling like you've been taken for granted. Thank you again.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suzydominguez For This Useful Post:

Shy
    I closed for a week at xmas and still charged for the days off. If parents are going to make a big deal about 4 hours, then maybe next time you should just take the whole day off. Your health comes first. A lady in my area just recently closed because of health reasons. You are already open 11 hours per day, don't let parents take advantage of you and take care of yourself. Also, if you tell them you have an appointment at the hospital, I'm sure they are not going to demand a discount and be understanding.

Euphoric !
    I charge $15 if I close at noon. Anything after that is full rate.