Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaL View Post
    I've been hesitant to post because I was worried about the response that I might get back. But here goes. I can't help but completely understand where the mother is coming from. When my daughter was 2.5 years old, she was at a daycare that had the same policy around wearing pull-ups. When we first learned of this policy, we were completely ok with it. That was until it was time to actually potty-train our daughter. My husband and I would get so frustrated because on weekends when we were at home with our daughter, she wore underwear and was accident free. But at her daycare, in pull-ups, she was not. We too believed that it was because she couldn't distinguish between diapers and pull-ups and almost felt like she had "permission" to pee in her pull-ups but was very conscious about not doing so when she had underwear on. We couldn't take two weeks off from work just to potty-train. We really did need the help and support of our daycare provider, but were on separate pages when it came to how to train her. We ended up having a heart-to-heart with our provider and she agreed to a 3-day trial where our daughter could wear underwear except for naps. It worked!! She was accident free and was allowed to continue wearing underwear. That experience has made me realize that every child is different and what might work for the majority of children, might not work for all. Anyway, I guess I just feel that occasionally we need to entertain the idea of making exceptions. But this is just my personal opinion.
    That's where the, wearing the underware with a pull up over top comes in. Th child feels the underware and so therefore less inclined to pee but if she pees the pull up is there to catch it for the caregiver. Win win for all.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by crayolamom View Post
    Potty Training Update

I wanted to state (specifically for the post above) that this parent was presented with multiple options by me and she came up with an excuse to shut down every single one. I didn't suggest that pull-ups were the only option, I suggested training pants which are invented for the purpose of potty training, cloth training pants (a little different and used a lot by parents who use cloth) and I also suggested wearing underwear and then the pull up over. According to this parent none of those options worked for her. Regardless of the policy or what the decision was made regarding pull ups, training pants, underwear etc. the fact that this child doesn't communicate to me that he needs to use the bathroom is a big no no for me. If he was able to communicate then maybe I would have only had the policy for 3-7 days but he can't. She wants to to ask him numerous times if he needs to go to the bathroom. I have 2 other girls that are currently in the process of potty training so please let me know how I am able to potty train 3 children underwear without turning the daycare into out house. If she needs that kind of attention then she needs a nanny, this is group care and one on one training. Expecting your provider to do at daycare what you do at home is unrealistic and shows me she has no concern for the other children in my care, which I already know she doesn't.

Anyway I sent her a text message later that night asking if she going to stay or leave as I have another family who has been on my wait list and really needs car. She sent me a text stating they dont have any intention of leaving they just need to figure out if they will use diapers or pull ups.

The next day I get an email stating they are terminating care and that it wasn't due to the potty training it was because the mom wont get another job contract for a few months so it doesn't make sense to hold a spot. This wasn't a lie so I was aware of the contract prior to the holidays, the part that gets me is I ASKED her 4 weeks ago if she wants her spot even though she wont be working she said "oh god yes we dont want to give out some away". Wasting my time once again.

Dad drops off money and asked me if DCB had any possessions left. I said I sent everything home to be washed before the holidays but he might have an outfit, he asked me to go get it now, I said umm no I have a child in the parking lot and I dont have time to be running around the daycare you should have asked me last night to have it ready, again wasting my time.

All that I can say is buh-byeI am so happy they are gone!
    That's insane!!! Urgh!! Good ridings. Lol!!

Outgoing
    Just my 2 cents; I personally hate Pull-ups. If the child understands enough not to go in it, they're fine - (but then why not just use underwear?) But, if the child doesn't understand not to go in it and they poop and pee, the Pull-up can't contain the pee and the outer clothes are now soiled too. Once they are pooped in, they are harder to clean up - unless you take the child back to the diaper table, (and in that case, might as well be in a diaper.) I am completely on board with not wanting the house to be peed on and pooped on all the time, don't get me wrong. My couch cushions have been washed many times. But if there are that many accidents, then clearly the child is not ready anyway. Despite my different opinion, I do believe though, the number one thing, for anyone's method of training at daycare should be that it starts at home.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kindertime For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Quote Originally Posted by crayolamom View Post
    Potty Training Update

I wanted to state (specifically for the post above) that this parent was presented with multiple options by me and she came up with an excuse to shut down every single one. I didn't suggest that pull-ups were the only option, I suggested training pants which are invented for the purpose of potty training, cloth training pants (a little different and used a lot by parents who use cloth) and I also suggested wearing underwear and then the pull up over. According to this parent none of those options worked for her.
    Sorry, I may have misunderstood. I was responding to the mom's original message which just referred to pull-ups (not the other options). And that was what I could relate to.