Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Teacher fees

Starting to feel at home...

Teacher fees

Hi everyone, I need your advice on fees for teachers, I have a potential client and we are in the early stage of communicating she wants to know my fees, I had teachers clients before but I feel that when it comes to July, August I don't have an income. What should I do? is a full time, any advice is much appreciated thanks.

Expansive...
    Many providers have different ways of dealing with this. I'm assuming you don't do exclusively teachers? You could charge them a higher daily rate, and then they don't pay for Xmas/March Break/summer, and take a 2 week deposit in june, for september. You could charge them the higher daily rate and make them pay for Xmas and march break, but not summer, but take a 2 week deposit for september before the end of june. You could say they have to come part-time at least 3 days a week during the summer months, or pay 1/2 the FT fees for July/Aug to hold it open, but not use the spot. You might request them to be FT only. Not sure what your contract says. The variations are endless... What is the norm in your area? Ask a few other providers. Most teachers are very well paid, so it irritates me when they want special favours at my financial expense. I have 2 teachers in my care, and one came PT in the summer(3 days), and one kept their child in FT. They both paid full fees for all of the school breaks.

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy ECE mommy For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I charge year round. I not base my fees on client profession. A place is a place. They can come in Summer because they be paying. Teacher get paid year round. All client charged based on day reserved not day attended. Just because teacher get more time off than most, that not mean they should be bill free in Summer. If they go on vacation for month, they still have pay mortgage. If they not need use their daycare place, they still pay for it. I have 2 teachers too. One child comes daily all summer, other child come some days and parent tell me on Sunday when their son be here for next week.

Some provider here target teacher child because they close for summer. They not charge because they closed and want summer with own family.

Some provider here charge 50% retainer to hold place for next September because they want reduced numbers as own children count so they need lower daycare children when own children home from school.

Most who assign a place for teacher child, charge 100%. If teacher not want pay, they can go somewhere else.

I charge yr. round. I can't afford a lower income for two mths especially when I can fill with a non teachers kid

I give them 3 different payment options.
    1) pay a higher rate between Sept and April (college/university)
    2) pay higher rate between Sept and June (elem. or high school)
    3) pay my regular rate year round.

they end up paying me the same amount no matter which option the choose. I put X amount aside from option 1 & 2 payments to cover over the summer. they still pay for March break and christmas. I basically have a "summer holding fee" build into their tuition. The holding fee is non refundable and ONLY goes towards holding the spot. if they want care over the summer they have to either pay $10/day scheduled or pay option 3 and pay all year round.

Euphoric !
    I have a teacher. I charge for all holidays but for summer. I have an older sibling that I take for summer. The teacher knows that in the event I cannot fill the spot for July and August that they must pay it.

Euphoric !
    A space is a space. If they don't want to pay for summer that's up to them....but they terminate their spot than and risk not having one available come September.

I used to try hard to find a summer only child for teachers but now I don't. I'll post the opening but I don't look hardcore. They are welcome to find someone though, so long as it's a good fit for me too!

Thank you so much for all the great advices, now I have to decided which one I'll put in place,
    but all of them gave me a lot of help on how to organize the fees specially for teachers.

hi again, I have a difficult issue with parents fee this client is making me explain my fees and for some reason I think she isn't believing my rate which I'm charging her more due to the two months and because she is a teacher but now I think she is trying to find out from other parents my actual fee what can say now!

What ur fees for other parents is not her business.

U say this is your fee. Xx$ Per day. It's a few dollars more then my normal daily fee to compensate for the two Summer mths that you will be off and I will be without pay.

Period. Move on if she is being to difficult!