Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Expansive...

Chatty parent makes late closure

I have all my parents picking up in the last 10-15mins before I close. They all want a synopsis of their child's day(even though it is all in the communication books) So basically I have the first parent show up and want to chat for 10 mins, then all the others can't speak to me until closing. So basically, the last parent isn't out of here til 15 mins after I close. Sooooo frustrating, as I have appointments/kids lessons scheduled right after I close, and I'm often late.
    I'm putting out a newsletter this week, and want to be firm with all parents that I close at xxxpm, and please respect my time too. Is there a polite way to put this?

Also, my second issue is that pickup is done outside in the backyard. When I have several parents overlap, it always seems that one of the kids turns into a holy terror, while I speak to another parent. The kicker is that the terror child's parent is in the yard too, watching all the behaviour happen, and just stands there as I run over from the parent I was talking to, to discipline. Do you make parents responsible for their own kids if they are in the pickup area? Or should I only let one in at a time? I just don't want to be stuck past closing because of doing one at a time. Help please????

Shy
    Do I make parents responsible for their child when they are present? Absolutely yes!

I would write up an addendum that would need to be signed and returned stating:

Subject: Closing Time

Effective immediately, a $1 per minute late fee will apply to any families still present after my 5pm closing time.
    I am happy to touch base with you if you feel the need to discuss any issues pertaining to your child's care, but it must be done within the hours of Xam-Xpm. Please allow yourself adequate time upon arrival to gather your child, their belongings and any information you need before departing before 5pm.
    Also, I'd like to reiterate that when you are on premises, you as the parent are responsible for your child's behavior and any disciplining that may be needed. For the safety of others, please do not allow your child to break house rules or run off unattended and unsupervised.

Signed,
    Provider

I wouldn't have any qualms about telling a parent they need to tell their child to listen to the rules or put their child in a timeout. I'd also be scooting them out the door (physically- by arm on shoulder and opening the door for them).

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Snowmom For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    Personally I find it easier to be indoors at closing time and I am able to be in control of the situation and just open the door for them while outside I use to find parents loved looking at their child playing and did not want to spoil their fun by saying now we have to go so indoors in better for shorter goodbyes

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Send home a letter stating that due to everyone leaving in the same 10minute period parents will need to refer to their communication book for daily updates. If they have concerns they need to discuss in person the parents can make a note in the communication book for the next morning noting they will arrive at X time to discuss it before the other parents arrive. (obviously establish when they can arrive to discuss matters so they aren't hanging out at random parts of te day!)

Note that will fall courses having started you will be closed at X:XX and leaving the house at X:01 to get your family to their classes in time.

While many families want to connect for that personal touch...it is NOT feasible if all families leave at the same time and it is not fair for you to have to work past your closing time to repeat what you wrote in the books. They will need to arrive early to discuss things before the mad rush occurs.

Odds are when it starts to inconvenience them (instead of you) they won't feel the need to discuss the daily details quite so much .

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    All you have to say is day was good/not great (had timeout for hitting, wasn't listening to well today), see you tomorrow!

Make it short and sweet especially if it's written down somewhere for them! Why waste time doing both.

And yes parent is responsible for bad behavior but not all parents realize what is acceptable at your house and what isn't. Step in if you need to and get family on their way

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

I think denying the parent the right to more than a minute chat at the door is a huge shame. However as a busy parent of teenagers with a full week of after school and evening activities, I too do not have the time to be chatting beyond close. I like the posters comment about asking to arrive with adequate time to chat prior to closing, otherwise it will be brief. If they have specific questions, ask them to email. If a parent requires a little more extensive communication then I think that is part of our job and there just need to be strict guidelines to adhere to so it doesn't go into after hours. Charging a late fee is petty in my opinion. SO a parent comes to collect at 5 to 5 and we just so happen to finish chatting at 2 minutes past so they have to pay? Or I cut a parent off at the 5pm mark and say any more communication is at a fee? Sorry that is a provider I wouldn't be happy sending my child to. A little give and take is fine, but ultimatly if a providers policies are being abused then it is up to the provider to nail down the source and fix it. It sounds like the parent doesnt have the understanding of this expectation so why would they consider that it might bother you. If they want to have a written report and verbal at the door, then you need to determine which one works best for you and let everyone know that from now on unless it is serious then the days communication will be in the book and that pickup time needs to be brief due to family commitments. I have a drop off and pick up policy in my contract to avoid any of these issues.

I am the main disciplinary while the child is on my premises. If a child is acting out, they get treated the same regardless of parents present or not. Otherwise they would be on a wrist link by my side until they could be trusted. Outdoor pick ups are nuts in my experience at the best of times. I can not keep a close enough eye on children in a large open space if I am also focusing one on one with a parent or other child. Indoors all sat ready to go at the front door makes things much smoother

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright sparks For This Useful Post:

Shy
    Although this isn't a direct answer to your questions (which were answered quite well already) here's something to try as an alternative to communication books -
    I use texting for little reports during the day, so that prevents the need for me to do the big report at the end of the day. It works well for me as I can also talk about the funny things that happen that I may forget by day's end.
    Maybe I have easygoing clients but they are happy with it so it's worked out great.
    Some people will be chatty regardless, but at least if they are filled in already by pickup, you can kindly refer them back to info you've already given them. Then move onto to the next person

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cdngirl For This Useful Post:

Expansive...
    I guess the thing that irks me is that I have appts such as family chiro. and kids lessons booked for 30 mins after I close. Often the commute to get there is 20 mins in traffic within our town, so I'm often late when the parents are chatty, and my kids miss part of their lessons(which are costly) or we miss our chiro appts because they have now closed. When you work a 10 hr day, how are you supposed to get to regular appts? After work is the only option, but most are closed by 5pm.
    Just frustrating that's all. Maybe I'll just tell them to check the book. I do have a dropoff/pickup policy, which states 2-3 minutes for dropoff/pickup.

Euphoric !
    Just curious what is taking so long to talk about? My parents (who ask) usually just say "good day?" I say yep or if not I will say - we didn't bring our listening ears today, we had a timeout because we were pushing our friends today or we had a potty accident etc. I don't go into full on detail about the whole incident because I have already dealt with it and disciplined accordingly.

In the event something major needs to be addressed I send an email to parent during the day.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    i do indoor pickups as well and if i have a certain child that doddles because the parent is there such as the child that doesn't want help to put on shoes but takes 15 mins to do themselves when parent is there but when its just us they pop them on in secs then i have the child ready to do with shoes and coat on so when parent comes in and i say we had a great day no problems ..then the parent usually says have a good night and see you tomorrow ...and off they go.....this is also good for the child that doesnt want to leave, or wants the parent to see them throw the ball/push the car/bounce on the spring horse ect ...i have a gate at the entrance and its easy to segregate the leaving child from the others ......if the child is misbehaving ..and the parent doesnt do anything or thinks its cute then i do say something to both child and parent

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post: