Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Teacher fees

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by littlefish View Post
    hi again, I have a difficult issue with parents fee this client is making me explain my fees and for some reason I think she isn't believing my rate which I'm charging her more due to the two months and because she is a teacher but now I think she is trying to find out from other parents my actual fee what can say now!
    It is not uncommon for different families to pay different rates within one home daycare. A common strategy is for caregivers to raise their rates for new incoming families but keep their current families at the rate listed in their contract.

Regardless, if you are choosing to charge them more for their days with you then you need to strongly and firmly stand behind this decision. Have a few straightforward reasons for your decision and should they question you, answer them in a confident, non-confrontational manner and don't get emotional about it. It is what it is, it is your business. If they are the type to start asking other families what they are paying and then confronting you and trying to make you change your rate for them then they need to be shown the door. You are in charge, you are running this business they do not get to challenge you. BUT, they DO deserve to have all the information. If they question your rate then they need to be given the breakdown of why their rate is what it is. Then they decide to stay or go.

Euphoric !
    I don't understand what her issue is. You told her the fee and she was agreeable to it, it shouldn't matter what others are paying.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to torontokids For This Useful Post:

Starting to feel at home...
    Thank you again, I don't understand either I think in this case is that she is looking for a special cheaper daily rate she loved my place and she she said it she was happy to found me so in this case money shouldn't matter in just an extra bucks still a good deal compare to centers, I hope I hear from her today or then I have to move on this is stressing me out!
    Thanks
    Last edited by littlefish; 01-22-2016 at 09:55 AM.

Expansive...
    I had 2 teachers and it can be a headache when it comes to their summer off -one took the summer off without paying and came back in Sept as I did not fill the spot which suited me to have fewer kids in the summer and the other paid for part-time in the summer

but this client is being difficult before she starts .........move on to next one

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Van For This Useful Post:

I have one family who just started on September and by searching the job, I found out the mom works in a school setting so not sure if she is a teacher, she never mention it and I didn't bother asking, anyway I gave her the regular fee rate for non teacher, so next year on July and August what should I do, it always confuse me regarding teachers. What should I charge for July and August 2017 if she stays until then. thank you for your input and I don't have specific policy for teachers on my agreement.
    Last edited by littlefish; 09-12-2016 at 03:58 PM.

I have one family who just started on September and by searching the job, I found out the mom works in a school setting so not sure if she is a teacher, she never mention it and I didn't bother asking, anyway I gave her the regular fee rate for non teacher, so next year on July and August what should I do, it always confuse me regarding teachers. What should I charge for July and August 2017 if she stays until then. thank you for your input and I don't have specific policy for teachers on my agreement.
    Can you clarify to us what your "regular teacher rate" is versus just your "regular rate"? Not just the fact that there may be a difference in fee, but the theory behind charging teachers and non-teacher a different rate. I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from so I can answer your question more accurately. Thanks

Expansive...
    For now be happy you have filled the spot and don;t worry about next summer yet as she may be happy to keep the child in daycare for next summer but you could also talk to her about it in April 2017 so you know where you stand and still have time to find a new client if needed.

Euphoric !
    I only have one fee. It doesn't matter to me if you're a teacher, Doctor, waitress or superman....only one fee. I charge for the space and if they don't want to use it in the summer (or whenever) that's fine but they will still need to pay to secure their spot.

I'm not sure if it's like this everywhere (but I assume so) but teachers get paid 12 months just like everyone else. They may get paid 10 months out of the year but it's still the salary for 12. It's up to them to budget for summer.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 5 Little Monkeys For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Yes I only have 1 rate too regardless of their occupation. If they don't need care for summer and I can fill the spot with another child in care's sibling then I will and they don't pay but if not they pay for the spot all summer.

I currently have a EA parent. Her child is away on any school closure days but still pays for them. I have an older sibling of a different child that comes those days and they pay for those days so I get double pay on those days. During summer the EA gets July/Aug with no fees as the older sibling attends. Both families understand that if the situation changes that I can no longer offer this deal. They are both families I have had for 4 years.
    Last edited by mickyc; 09-13-2016 at 02:01 PM.

Thank you for your inputs, I like the ideas, I'll stick to that I'll charge all year long, no matter the occupation.