Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mamaof4 View Post
    You know in the Netherlands, Sweden etc, countries that typically out score the west on standardized tests do not start school until age 5/6 and have a play based curriculum?

Gah! kids need to be kids!
    Don't these countries also offer free post secondary education? At least Sweden or Switzerland?
    These countries obviously know whats important to their ppl and the future.
    Cheeky Monkey Daycare

Euphoric !
    Actually even in other parts of Canada other than Ontario, kids start kindergarten at five and only half days, then full days at 6. I heard that in Sweden they don't start until 8. Now the French schools here in Ontario have a half day program for 3 year olds (free), so really they are starting two years earlier than in BC where my oldest son was born and started school.

Shy
    So my kids went to school at 3 1/2 and of course I received the dreaded call at the beginning of november "maybe your child should take JK over again". OMG I was beside myself and of course have disliked the teacher ever since. BUT my point is teachers in JK expect the kids to know 60-80% roughly of their alphabet not to mention recognize their numbers 1-5 by Nov. Oh and my kids could not use scissors.OMG . So speaking from experience I guess we would need to blame the standards because there are very high expectations these days of the children. I learned the hard way that they need to know their stuff BEFORE they go to school. Why do we have teachers?
    Now I feel as a daycare provider this is part of my job to teach these necessary skills so they are school ready. I wish my kids had started school the next year and just maybe it would not be such a struggle for them.

Euphoric !
    And that is the problem with education. What was the kindergarten program is now the JK program and as you say preschools - including us for our older kids are now expected to abandon the freeplay and exploration of daycare in favour of school readiness. Just when do kids get to be kids. Then they turn around and there was an article in the paper this morning about kids in school not liking to read. Can't blame them when they can't read without being asked to draw about it or write about it or find all the letter "a" on the page. We "look" at books several times a day just for the sake of looking. I use a rolling wooden bookshelf for transitions - they sit and look at books while we take turns for diaper changes before and after nap etc. We use a book to introduce all of the lessons and the last two I sent off to JK both received praise from the teacher for knowing the importance of reading. If only they could leave it at that at least a bit longer. Who cares if the author left a dangling participle at the end of the sentence if it works to further the plot.

Outgoing
    Nifer, yes they do. And the childcare is very cheap compare to the other countries. In my native country we also start going to school when we are late 5 or 6.