Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Bill 10 question and Ontartio Liability insurance

Howdy folks!!

Just updating my website since I'll be reopening in May and I had a question for Ontario providers who may already know what I am seeking the answer too.

It is my understanding that Providers who sign up with an agency are allowed to take 6 children...is this correct? If so, how does liability insurance work? There isn't a single insurance provider in Ontario that will cover a home daycare provider for 6 children regardless of the Bill 10 laws and how many children they are allowed to care for. There are still only a handful of insurance companies who will cover a provider for 5, and not all of those are "plus" your own children. I was wondering how many people opting to go with an agency are aware of this issue and are as a result going entirely uninsured...or does anyone know if the agency are offering them insurance through them?? Although I can't see how this would work legitimately.

Just looking for some clarification as I know a few providers have mentioned that attendance needs to be kept on hand in case of a house call from an inspector to verify numbers and attendance, and I wanted to have all my bases covered and display my insurance in my entryway in addition to having all other necessary paperwork should I be sprung on. I'm also putting together a page entirely on law and insurance matters as a resource for parents looking for childcare, so this was something I wanted to confirm.

TIA

Its up to the agency to dicide whethet or not you can have the 6st child. They have control on whether the child is young or school age. It is my understanding that a lot of agencies are going to use the 6 child ONLY for school aged (6yr +). They can't find many providers who will take children this age because the fee they pay the provider is a "sick joke".

Its getting very hard to find insurance. Sorry not sure who will cover the 6st child.

It is a good policy to keep an attendance record.

There is a website for parents that has a summary of the new laws and other information about home daycares in Ontario. www.ontariohdc.weebly.com

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRose View Post
    Its up to the agency to dicide whethet or not you can have the 6st child. They have control on whether the child is young or school age. It is my understanding that a lot of agencies are going to use the 6 child ONLY for school aged (6yr +). They can't find many providers who will take children this age because the fee they pay the provider is a "sick joke".

Its getting very hard to find insurance. Sorry not sure who will cover the 6st child.

It is a good policy to keep an attendance record.

There is a website for parents that has a summary of the new laws and other information about home daycares in Ontario. www.ontariohdc.weebly.com
    Thanks for your response. Just to clarify, I'm not concerned with whether or not a provider is granted permission to have a sixth child through an agency, but more specifically if anyone knows of a single insurance company who will cover six children and if anyone has heard how the agency expect those providers with six in their care to be insured.

My caregiver friend is with the co operators and has coverage for 6

Euphoric !
    It might take awhile but I would expect the insurance companies will change their policies to match the provincial rules. They only covered 5 before because covering more would be condoning an illegal activity...which insurance companies wouldn't really want to do. So, the rules now permit 6...insurance companies SHOULD get around to covering 6.

I would expect the companies that now cover 5 will be the first to cover 6.

We lucked out in that our company covered 5 kids with our fist call to them. I know people mention their struggle with finding a company to cover the daycare but I am not fully aware what the differences between the companies that do and don't cover the 5 were. Perhaps there is is notable reason for some not covering 5 kids...like their payouts aren't enough to cover that many children, smaller company, more basic a plan or something. There are companies that cover 5 and I expect in time there will be companies that cover 6.

Since having 6 now would void a policy that only allows 5 I would not take that extra child...so being licensed has even less benefit right now...but perhaps one day they will make it worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-Bee View Post
    It might take awhile but I would expect the insurance companies will change their policies to match the provincial rules. They only covered 5 before because covering more would be condoning an illegal activity...which insurance companies wouldn't really want to do. So, the rules now permit 6...insurance companies SHOULD get around to covering 6.

I would expect the companies that now cover 5 will be the first to cover 6.

We lucked out in that our company covered 5 kids with our fist call to them. I know people mention their struggle with finding a company to cover the daycare but I am not fully aware what the differences between the companies that do and don't cover the 5 were. Perhaps there is is notable reason for some not covering 5 kids...like their payouts aren't enough to cover that many children, smaller company, more basic a plan or something. There are companies that cover 5 and I expect in time there will be companies that cover 6.

Since having 6 now would void a policy that only allows 5 I would not take that extra child...so being licensed has even less benefit right now...but perhaps one day they will make it worthwhile.
    I hear ya. Once again showing that Bill 10 is about profit not safety. Anyhow...

I too was very lucky that I was with State Farm who have always been 5 plus your own since I started 10 years ago. Now operating under the name Certa but still State Farm I will be going back to them. It's an additional $250 a year that's all. I've also looked at the policy in the brokers guide as I know too many providers whose brokers have told them one thing but it's been another upon further investigation. Or also commonly the 5 kid guideline turns out to include their own children too. Frustrating when the very people we get insurance from don't have clear knowledge either.