Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unexpected Interview Questions?

Good morning all,

The time has come for interviews again! I am losing a dck at the end of March, and I have already secured two interviews (the joys of living in an overpopulated city! )

I want to be completely prepared, as I tend to get nervous during meetings. So my question is, can anyone think of any questions that people have asked during interviews that you did not expect, or were not prepared to answer? I want to have all my bases covered. This could also be a fun thread to bring out some kooky questions that parents have asked!

Thanks in advance,

Alphaghetti

Ah, my fave ever..........

"how will I KNOW you will treat my child exactly like your own kids and never, love your own kids more than mine"..............

Yes, she really did say that.....

Now, I get it....parents want a secure, safe, loving place for their children to spend their days. But how, in any sense of honesty is ANY parent gonna say that they can love another person's child MORE than their own??

Needless to say she got a ...............NEXT!

She signed on with another provider in my area and this mom has been nothing but problem after problem.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Judy Trickett For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    What is meant by "open door policy" is still a big one around here. A parent will ask me if I have an open door policy and before I reply I turn it around and ask them what they mean by that term. For some it means can they pick up early without calling me. For some they seem to think my door will be unlocked in case they want to walk in - can not imagine suddenly turning around and finding a parent standing behind me or one of the kids - too creepy. For one it meant she wanted to be able to walk around the house and peek in the windows at us - whatever - hope the neighbours call the cops on her.

So many parents have heard concepts and buzz words and really don't know what they are asking for or the ramifications of the requests. A lot of educating goes into the interviews especially with the new moms.

Euphoric !
    I had one ask me if my 16 year old lives with me full-time...why on earth she would ask this or how she thought it was any of her business, I do not know! I wish I had told her to stuff it instead of ansering her question...it's not a question I should have to answer.

Outgoing
    Interesting topic!
    I had one parent ask me what I would do as an evacuation plan, in case of emergency.
    Do we have a neighbours house we can go to if need be...that kind of thing.

Outgoing
    Oh, I have 1. When discussing my menu and telling them that if I have left over stew that I made the night before for my family that I will serve it to the children as well. The dad asked me if I dump the uneaten portions from our plate/bowls back into the pot to serve to the kids Ya...I do that All the time...NOT...gross!

I've also had a parent ask me what insurance company I was with when she asked if I was insured.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by fruitloop View Post
    I've also had a parent ask me what insurance company I was with when she asked if I was insured.
    The insurance question: The first time I was asked that question I was rather dumbfounded in the sense that I didn't get the rationale behind the question. Come to find out it is on a whole bunch of lists out there of questions parents should ask of prospective providers - again why?

My response is now a very simple "Why are you planning to sue me?"

I then just change the subject. Any parent that does come back to the question interestingly enough tends to be the overprotective, nervous, demanding type of parent where I am feeling kind of nervous myself that they just might sue or at least create havoc if things didn't go their way - time to say bye. Dont' deal with parents with hang ups.

Outgoing
    Ya, I found it to be a bit of a personal question that was really non or her business. My husband said it was probably so she would know if it was indeed a repitable insurance company. Either way, as far as I'm concerned it is non of her business.
    The Daycare Room ~ A forum for providers ~
    http://thedaycareroom.forumotion.ca/

Expansive...
    I never tell parents I have insurance (even though I do). I don't want them to get any ideas in case something happens. I have it there in case someone sues but I would never put the info or the idea out there to a parent. there are all sorts of people looking for a lawsuit.

The only 'out there' question I ever got was whether I read to the children for an hour a day. I kind of laughed and said that some days I am lucky to get through a 10 minute story before the kids lose interest or their attention span and toddlers usually would not sit still that long. The parent was cool about it and laughed too and said they just didn't know what to expect.

One of the most annoying things is when I was interviewing with a couple and the hubby went into the bathroom seemingly to see how 'clean' it is I guess or else to be nosy. not sure what he expected to find.

One of the worst interviews I had was when the parents came with no questions. They said they weren't sure what to ask so I told them about the daycare but since they didn't have any questions or feedback it was kind of awkward and slow convo.

I hope you do great on your interviews Alpha. I hate interviews too. I don't get nervous about the interview but I hate afterwards when I don't hear back and don't know why. It kind of puts me in a slump and makes me over analyze what I said or did wrong and feel like maybe I am not a good provider. I can be very hard on myself that way
    Last edited by Spixie33; 11-24-2011 at 03:59 PM.

Expansive...
    Quote Originally Posted by playfelt View Post
    What is meant by "open door policy" is still a big one around here. A parent will ask me if I have an open door policy and before I reply I turn it around and ask them what they mean by that term. For some it means can they pick up early without calling me. For some they seem to think my door will be unlocked in case they want to walk in - can not imagine suddenly turning around and finding a parent standing behind me or one of the kids - too creepy. For one it meant she wanted to be able to walk around the house and peek in the windows at us - whatever - hope the neighbours call the cops on her.

So many parents have heard concepts and buzz words and really don't know what they are asking for or the ramifications of the requests. A lot of educating goes into the interviews especially with the new moms.
    OMG I thought open door policy meant being open and honest about how there child is doing!