Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Attitude

Euphoric !

Attitude

Is it "normal" for a 3yr2month old girl to have snarky, rude attitude/comments towards friends? It rarely is towards me but her daily interactions with my daughter drive me up the wall. I find it baffling as to how a child so young can have such comments and the sounds of annoyance she makes when she doesn't get her way.

For example, they will be happily playing together when she will tell my daughter to "be quiet, stop talking to me" in a pissed off, teenage girl tone and that noise of utter annoyance and disapproval. She constantly says "I KNOW, with that noise of annoyance" - she doesn't 'know' when she says this. It's partly the words she uses but largely the tone behind it.

I swear I feel like I am in high school listening to the mean girl. My daughter is oblivious and doesn't care but it bothers me. If my daughter were speaking to others like this I would be so embarrassed!

I have started calling her out on it. Telling her that speaking like that is rude and that it is not appropriate to speak to others with those words and tones. But, this child has mastered the tear act and any correction what so ever results in a good 20-40 minutes of sobbing. That in itself also bothers me. I just ignore it. If I correct my daughter for anything this child also bawls...for a good 15-20minutes (she is from a home that doesn't believe in the word no).

I just can't stand hearing such a young child speaking in this manner and feel it needs to be stopped before it continues. But, I am also baffled how a child that has no older siblings and no older family/friends that I know of naturally uses this material on a regular basis.

Is this just a normal 3yr old girl thing?

Euphoric !
    Ahh, the "threenager" stage....lol

My dcg is 4y4months now but she also went through this. WAY more so at home apparently but every now and than I'd hear that annoyance and "teen" like phrases at dc. She also has no older siblings to learn this from!

Calling her on it, correcting her and showing examples of how we can politely ask others to leave us alone should hopefully help!

My dcb who is the same age only just recently (past 6 months maybe?) started showing signs of threenager lol. Girls must pick it up sooner!
    Last edited by 5 Little Monkeys; 01-18-2016 at 08:30 AM.

Yup trying threes are way worst then a terrible two. Haha. I have a threeanger dcb now and hear the same every day! Stop that. I know. Don't touch me. I don't want to play with u. Don't do that u hurt my feelings. And so on and so on and so on lol.
    Everythime I hear it I say no we don't talk like that, be nice to ur friends and I get him to say sorry. If the attitude stays or no sorrys are given its a time out!
    Good times!

Euphoric !
    Wow, ok! I guess having just the 2 of them and them being together for 2 years now has made them like siblings and I am seeing the worst of it. I have worked with kids and in daycare for well over a decade and I just don't remember this at such a young age!

Will crack down and keep it to a minimum as best I can.

Outgoing
    Am I right in assuming this is the child who watches Netflix all night long? There is so much crap out there, stuff that kids shouldn't be watching, but do anyway. I think your only hope is to do what you said, and nip it in the bud. Whenever I hear this kind of attitude or inappropriate language, I say, "I don't care who says that at home, or where you heard it, that is not allowed in my house."

Expansive...
    Next time you hear the tone say to her '' WHEN you say that THEN it hurts ----- feelings ''
    and tell her HOW to say it differently so you are showing her HOW to handle a social situation better , you may have to shadow her for a while till she gets it