Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread

What does this mean?

I am getting ready to reopen my daycare after a year off for maternity leave.

Ive familiarized myself with the new childcare & early years act, but there is one new rule I don't quite understand.

"with specific exceptions, all providers, both licensed and unlicensed, are required to allow parental access to the premises of their child"

What are the specific exceptions?

I used to tell parents that I don't like unexpected pick ups during nap time (and Id explain why) and that if the needed to pick up early during nap time to let me know so I could have their child separated from the other nappers and ready to go.

Am I still allowed to do this, or would that be restricting access to the premises?

Am I required to let them have access to my house to look around any time they want?

basically unless there is a court order stating that a parent can't have their child, you have to hand over the child to the parent. If a mom asks you not to let the father have the child, you have to tell her that if the father shows up you have to hand the child over unless she can give you a copy of a court order stating otherwise.

You can not not allow them to view the rooms your child is in during the day. The still have to respect the fact that it is a private home so they can't just walk through your home and open cupboard doors etc. But they can look in any room their child has access too during daycare hours. This is so they can do their own "safety checks".

They can show up anytime the child is in your care, but if its in your contract that they are not to come during X times then you can terminate care if they continuity show up during that time period as they are breaching the contract.

Outgoing
    I believe this rule stems from accounts of daycares where parents weren't ever allowed to come in. Drop-off and pick-up is done outside the door. In this way, a daycare could have WAY more children than is allowed but the parents can be unaware of it. What you have described as your policy is perfectly acceptable and reasonable.

Expansive...
    As far as I know a Parent can always have access to their child unless there is a legal reason such as the parents were in a fight with each other and one of them put a restraining order on the other then you can not allow the other in and if they try to be forceful then you can call the police in this situation or threaten to call the Police at the door and that will make the parent go away- if not call 911