Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Shy

Ratio Requirements

I had a question regarding ratios and I found a hard time finding anything online. I know a private home daycare can only have 5 children (2 under 2), an individual affiliated with an agency can have 6 (2 under 2), if you are private no matter how many care givers are there you can only have 5 children but if you are licensed and the other provider is licensed you can have 12 altogether (4 under 2)? Is this correct and if not please correct me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

As of the moment the law in Ontario is:

Private care: 5 daycare children, with only 2 under 2 years

Licensed Care: 5 to 6 daycare children with only 2 under 2 years.

the two daycare provider model is not in affect yet and we are still waiting to find out if its, for play dates or an every day thing.

For both private and licensed providers: the providers children under 6yrs count in their numbers.
    If their child is 4 or 5 yrs old and is enrolled in a government funded full day school program, and the provider only has 1 child under the age of 2 yrs them the providers child will only count during the summer months (July/Aug), but not count in the providers numbers during the school year.

for a summary of the bill please go to www.homedaycarebusin ess.weebly.com

Shy
    BlueRose, thank you so much for the information. I was under the impression that it was already in effect. If there are providers out there who get inspected by the ministry and truly don't know about the 2 under 2 rule what will the ministry do? Do they give out warnings or not. I'm just curious because I know of provider who had no idea about the 2 under 2 rules.

Also, how do we prove date of birth? How will the ministry know if a child is 22 months vs 24 months?

They give out a warning first. Then return in two wks to see if you fixed the problem. They can contact the parents and ask for proof of the date of birth.

U can only have 5 daycare kids at one time per residence doesn't matter how many adults are present. Only two can be under age two.

Quote Originally Posted by bluebirdfollower View Post
    BlueRose, thank you so much for the information. I was under the impression that it was already in effect. If there are providers out there who get inspected by the ministry and truly don't know about the 2 under 2 rule what will the ministry do? Do they give out warnings or not. I'm just curious because I know of provider who had no idea about the 2 under 2 rules.

Also, how do we prove date of birth? How will the ministry know if a child is 22 months vs 24 months?
    Your welcome.

I have heard that they give a warning first. But that doesn't mean that they will. If you know of providers who don't know about the new laws please tell them about them. It is the providers responsibility to always be doing research on their business and making sure there are no changes in any of the laws.

I require a copy of the child's birth certificate at the time of the contract signing. The ministry has the right to contact all your clients. The can look at your contract etc. They have ways of finding out ages, so its best to make sure you can back up the child's age, as the fine is very large.

Expansive...
    I believe the fine in Ontario for being over 5 children is $250,000 correct me if I am wrong

Expansive...
    In BC the daycare inspectors don't give any warning , so it is up to us to know how many children are attending the daycare and not go over ratio or they can close your daycare

Shy
    I know that ratio is 1:5 but I read online a few months back (can't seem to find this info anymore) that if 2 licensed provider in Ontario work together they can have 12 children together.

I know the fine is hefty for being over ratios but I am curious as to what the ministry does for the 2 under 2 if someone doesn't know about it. A LOT of providers in my are had no clue so I am wondering when they catch them what will happen. Lol

Expansive...
    Personally I would NOT like to be the one to find out lol

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by bluebirdfollower View Post
    I know that ratio is 1:5 but I read online a few months back (can't seem to find this info anymore) that if 2 licensed provider in Ontario work together they can have 12 children together.

I know the fine is hefty for being over ratios but I am curious as to what the ministry does for the 2 under 2 if someone doesn't know about it. A LOT of providers in my are had no clue so I am wondering when they catch them what will happen. Lol
    The 2 provider model with 6 children each is solely at the discretion of the agency and the space being provided for the children. There are space and facility requirements as outlined by the CCEYA. Some agencies will go along, but others will not. The new regulations will be posted soon, so you can read up on them yourself.

So far as claiming to 'not know about' the 2 under 2 rule, I'm afraid that won't stand up and I doubt it will be met with much sympathy from the Ministry. This is your profession, and as such, it is expected by everyone that providers are up to date with the current regulations. Pleading ignorance, will not work. A provider working outside the legal parameters will face consequences, regardless of her knowledge or understanding of the law. If you have questions, you can visit the CICPO facebook page. Any number of team leads across the province will assist you with your queries. https://www.facebook.com/groups/CICPO/