Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

Nap policy for infants?

I have a nap/quiet time policy is in my handbook which specifys kids nap from 1-3. However, nothing stipulates my policy on infants who nap twice a day. I have all toddlers and have a 12mos old starting in Spring. I do not want to be stuck inside all morning for one child napping. I am looking to update my handbook to kinda say I support two naps until 15-18m of age but it wont be designated in terms of being home, etc? Any words?

Euphoric !
    I think I would note that ALL children nap after lunch (list your time if it is set) and children under the age of 18months are given the opportunity to nap for 20-30minutes before 9am (in stroller/car while out and in bed when at the house).

Anyone that asks, just note that in order to keep all children on the same afternoon nap schedule (which is needed to allow time to cook/clean/disinfect) you allow a short cat nap in the morning for the youngest children while they adapt to a one nap schedule.

Morning nap is NOT there to make up for being up all night it is just there to hold the kids over until nap time. The parents will need to do their part to ensure the little ones are getting a solid nights sleep.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I support morning naps until they are ready to give them up ....i do go outside in the mornings but i nap the ones who need it at 8 am (or similar) for 30-45 minutes that way we can still be out side by 9 am or shortly there after.......when i worked out of the home and was looking for daycare for one of my kids (10 months at the time) one provider i interviewed said that my son could nap in the stroller if he wanted but she wasn't staying in just for him .... morning naps are generally short lived and they have out grown them by about 15-16 months if not sooner and that particular provider did not get my business because of her policy ....so 5 years later when i opened my own daycare i made sure i always accommodated the am naps as long as they needed them. .....just how i see things

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crayola kiddies For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I allow for a quick 30 minute nap in the morning from 9-9:30. I also try and wean out the morning nap quickly. My contract states all this though

For many kids, that morning nap is crucial. After all, it's typical for kids between 1-2 years old to still need up to 14 hours of sleep. It's seems a bit unfair to a child who needs this nap to not make it a bit of a priority. If you put a child down for a nap early enough in the morning, it shouldn't interrupt the day. If needed, I'd personally much rather wait any extra 30 minutes to go out in the morning than to have a little one who is cranky and tired. While this nap could take place anywhere (bed/crib, stroller, car), some kids don't nap anywhere but in a bed/crib (as much as I tried, my youngest child never slept in his stroller). So while you could add to your contract that some naps might take place outside of the home for younger children, just be prepared for the possibility that some kids won't cooperate.
    Last edited by MommaL; 01-26-2016 at 02:37 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MommaL For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by MommaL View Post
    For many kids, that morning nap is crucial. After all, it's typical for kids between 1-2 years old to still need up to 14 hours of sleep. It's seems a bit unfair to a child who needs this nap to not make it a bit of a priority. If you put a child down for a nap early enough in the morning, it shouldn't interrupt the day. If needed, I'd personally much rather wait any extra 30 minutes to go out in the morning than to have a little one who is cranky and tired. While this nap could take place anywhere (bed/crib, stroller, car), some kids don't nap anywhere but in a bed/crib (as much as I tried, my youngest child never slept in his stroller). So while you could add to your contract that some naps might take place outside of the home for younger children, just be prepared for the possibility that some kids won't cooperate.
    This is very true. But this is why it is crucial for both the family and the caregiver to choose the best fit. A child that will only nap in bed and needs long morning naps is not a good fit for a daycare that does frequent morning outings. both parties need to be honest and frank about what is needed to ensure a good fit.

My daughter NEEDED 2 hr morning naps until 18 months of age. I therefore was able to accommodate big morning naps here at my daycare and I filled my spots with families that needed that. But, it isn't fair for a daycare provider that doesn't want to accommodate long morning naps to be forced to, she needs to be honest at the interview and she needs to fill the spot with kids that can handle her chosen schedule.

There is no wrong here, it is just a matter of being clear and honest at the interview.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

Most of my kiddos that came into care have always been 14months +. I've never had a 12 month old. So all of them always had 1 nap from 1:00-3:00pm. Having said that, I'm taking the little sister of one of my dcb's when he leaves in September for school. His sister will be 14 months as well in september. Mum is trying to sleep train her now down to one nap. I told her I would be willing to do a 30 min. nap in the mornings whilst the older children are doing craft time. We head outdoors after this time so I can't see it being a problem. Usually morning naps are short lived anyway. A couple of months at most?

Euphoric !
    I am like mommaL and crayolakiddies, I accommodate morning naps. I usually get them down for a 30-45min nap right in the morning and have them finished by 930. As they get older and start weaning off them, I cut it down to 20-30 mins. It's so much easier to do this than deal with a tired cranky child IMO. And other than summer, we aren't outside that early in the morning anyways so it really doesn't disrupt my routine. If it is summer, I just rearrange our schedule as needed. If it means missing an outing than so be it....chances are that child wouldn't be able to stay happy throughout it anyways lol

I think some parents really don't value sleep as much as their child does/needs and I feel that sleep is important and vital to a child's day and attitude.

It also gives me some time with the older kids to do things that the younger kids aren't into so it's a win win

Thanks all! Super helpful and I appreciate all the thought input. My daughter weaned herself off her morning nap at 14mos and only ever slept in her crib. So... Thanks for the reassurance!