Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mickyc View Post
    I think it's a little extreme to terminate IMO. If buses are cancelled it should be the parents responsibility to take child to/from school daycare.
    Well according to the original post it stated the if the buses weren't running the parents could keep the child at daycare from for the full day fee or be responsible to take the child to and from school .... The parent knew this and signed off on it .... Subsequent posts from the original poster indicates that this its to the only issue .... Not following the contract is a reason for termination (at least according to my contract) she has a wait list .... I say .... NEXT

UP DATE:
    So I go a call from the school saying child had not been picked up. Parents conveniently were not answering their phone when the school called. I was tempted to tell them to call cps for child abandonment, but this is a kid that i have basically raised since they were 8 months. So I went an picked child up. Needless to say all of the kids wee soaked by the time we got home. Their termination notice is in the bag with the stuff. Unfrocking believable.......

Outgoing
    Wow. I would have done the same as you. I can't believe they would not answer their phone when the school calls.

Quote Originally Posted by superfun View Post
    Wow. I would have done the same as you. I can't believe they would not answer their phone when the school calls.
    I am so mad I actually feel sick. All i kept thinking is what am I going to do if a kid get hurt slipping on the ice, what if we get hit by a car. If I had been 100 positive that i wouldn't get in trouble, I might have left him there ( who am i kidding). Mom has texted me twice to find out if i picked him up. Maybe being left to wonder if he was picked up will smarten her up, especially since the school is closed.

Your nicer than me. I would have told the school sorry but I can't pick up the child, but I will let the parents know she is still their once they come to get their other child.

I don't do before and after school care any more. I do walk 5 min to and from the school each day with my kids, But on days like to day when the weather is bad I just keep them home. I want the right to decide if I am doing school runs without any hassle from parents.

Outgoing
    Quote Originally Posted by 33 Daiseys View Post
    I am so mad I actually feel sick. All i kept thinking is what am I going to do if a kid get hurt slipping on the ice, what if we get hit by a car. If I had been 100 positive that i wouldn't get in trouble, I might have left him there ( who am i kidding). Mom has texted me twice to find out if i picked him up. Maybe being left to wonder if he was picked up will smarten her up, especially since the school is closed.
    I can't wait to hear mom's excuse....

7. The Following User Says Thank You to superfun For This Useful Post:

I would have done the same as blue rose. U would have not gotten in trouble he is not ur son not ur responsibility when u had the right to not pick him up because the buses were canceled. I would have said I can't get him I have babies here I'll contuine to try to contact the parents. The parents would have gotten in trouble not u. Good choice on getting rid of them. Unbelievable!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to babydom For This Useful Post:

Euphoric !
    I also would have told the school that you cannot pick up.

I am maybe a little confused by this whole situation. What is your normal routine? The kids come before school and you take them to the bus? You walk to the bus? Did they just skip your house this morning and dropped off child at school or were busses cancelled in the afternoon? I guess I am just confused by why mom thought you would walk to the school to pick up.

There seems to be some sort of mixup or lack of communication on both sides as I just don't see a parent not picking up their child if they knew you weren't going to.

What was said when they picked up the children today? Did you tell them they are terminated?
    Last edited by mickyc; 02-03-2016 at 07:04 PM.

Euphoric !

I am maybe a little confused by this whole situation. What is your normal routine? The kids come before school and you take them to the bus? You walk to the bus? Did they just skip your house this morning and dropped off child at school or were busses cancelled in the afternoon? I guess I am just confused by why mom thought you would walk to the school to pick up.

There seems to be some sort of mixup or lack of communication on both sides as I just don't see a parent not picking up their child if they knew you weren't going to.

What was said when they picked up the children today? Did you tell them they are terminated?
    If she is anywhere near us then the city was coated in ice after frozen rain. The buses were all cancelled due to unsafe road conditions.

As much as you should have left the child to teach the parents a lesson...the poor child. I can't imagine being abandoned. At least the child knows the caregiver cares enough to trek there on the ice with a bunch of little kids.

As for the parents. Lesson learned they attempted to call the shots, knowing full well it was their duty to do the pick up. Knowing that you told them in the afternoon when they asked that you would not be doing pick up. They were unbelievably in the wrong to CHOSE to not pick their child up then CHOSE to not answer the phone when the school called. Horrible. I feel for those kids.

The immediate termination is definitely called for. If their was any doubt what so ever about terminating prior to their stunt with not answering their phone there is no doubt what so ever now.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lee-Bee For This Useful Post:

My normal routine is to drop off and pick up kids from the bus. Both parents were reminded of my in-climate weather policy in January, where not only did it go out in our monthly news letter (After reading the news letter all parents must sign and return the bottom similar to the schools so that i can insure that they have been read), but I sent out a text to all the families last night at 6 pm advising them of the up coming storm, and that the buses more then likely would not be running, and to please make other arrangements.
    The excuse that i got was they were in meeting ( I know this to be bs based on their schedual, and what was said yesterday), and that it was an honest mistake.
    Mom and Dad showed up at pick up, and were taken for a 180 ( I can put up with a lot and have ie late pick ups, frustrating circumstances, lack of communication ), and both wanted to sit down and talk about it.
    I told them I'm sorry I'm closed, I have plans, the notice explaining everything is in their bag, if you have any questions or wish to discuss the circumstances, they may call during nap time tomorrow ( they know that is when I handle phone calls).
    At that point I was to angry to speak to them. They were my last pick up, and I basically had time to close my door, run to the bathroom before being sick.