Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Expansive...

Books - which ones are you tired of and which ones do you love?

Hi,
    Today I found myself reading "we're Going on a Bear Hunt" for probably the 10th time this week and feeling tired of it. The daycare kids request certain books at storytime. Usually I can sneak in 1 or 2 different titles and then the 2-3 year olds tell me a few that they want to hear.
    I think I have read "We're Going on a Bear Hunt", "Knuffle Bunny" and a "Surprise party for Isa" more times than I care to count lol.

Are there any books you feel like you are reading over and over again and just tired of?
    Which books do you dck love? Which books do you enjoy reading most?

Expansive...
    They all have their favorites; I go to the library weekly so we can rotate some new ones into the mix.

When a story becomes repetitive I usually change the characters names or origin. For example if we are reading “Twas the Night before Christmas” I change it to “Twas the night Before Halloween” and so forth the kids laugh there heads off and it also shows that they are listening.

Or I also sometimes ask questions about the pictures in the story and ask them to count how many reindeer or stockings etc…

We also role play and pretend to be different animals before story time so I usually finish with an animal of my choice where I can say ok little kangaroos who can hop over and find me a book about Bunny Rabbits or Owls etc…

I’m not sure how many books you may have but you can also rotate your bookshelf or book box. Take some away for a few months and add some new ones. My library lets us take out 30 every 2 weeks.

Expansive...
    I get books from the library and also have tons of books but kids seem to get fixated on the same few books. The kids will even be able to tell me the words back off by heart and 'read' the book back to me. It is a form of early reading but sometimes it is too much.
    It is like hearing "hot Potato" by the wiggles for the 1000th time. lol

Euphoric !
    My kids are all obsessed with a few select books...I don't need to look at the pages anymore to read it With the 2 year olds and up I start getting them to complete the sentences (leave off the last word or two). They love it and it is a good learning activity. It does get boring to read them over and over though! I have a bin of books in the playroom and I rotate it with books from upstairs each week to keep it fresh. I used to have more books in the playroom, but they were just getting wrecked and strewn around.

Euphoric !
    My gang likes anything told in rhyme. Brown Bear, Brown Bear and Very Hungry Caterpillar are still out even though it is Fall and not Spring and we haven't seen a caterpillar in going on 3 months. The board books stay out all the time and the paper ones I keep up due to little ones. I choose three books a day to read - 1) seasonal, 2) one involving a truck, machine or construction - have a tonka series. 3) one fictional that becomes the theme of the day. Mostly these will be the paper back kind. The kids can bring me a board book whenever and I will read it with them - luckily there are only a few words per book so when repeated it isnt' quite as bad.

Outgoing
    My gang likes anything told in rhyme. Brown Bear, Brown Bear and Very Hungry Caterpillar are still out
    These two books are a couple of my groups favorites as well. I have a felt board and pieces for these stories so that probably doesn't help! I've got a young group so they like a lot of the 'touch and feel' books, mostly about animals. I try to get to the library as much as possible but it doesn't always happen. This means that yes, there are many many books that I can read without even looking at the words.

Euphoric !
    Quote Originally Posted by mlc1982 View Post
    These two books are a couple of my groups favorites as well. I have a felt board and pieces for these stories so that probably doesn't help! I've got a young group so they like a lot of the 'touch and feel' books, mostly about animals. I try to get to the library as much as possible but it doesn't always happen. This means that yes, there are many many books that I can read without even looking at the words.
    Brown Bear and Very Hungry Caterpillar are two of the stories to tell felt sets that Story Time Felts sells. So same here I have a selection of things that I sell that I have "sold" to my daycare and the kids love to retell the stories themselves. Sometimes I like telling it this way because then I can ad lib a bit more and control the pace of the story as if there were a few more sentences on one aspect of the story and glossing over another area depending on the age of my group. We just did a workshop here in Ottawa on a version of Where the Wild Things Are at Halloween. http://www.playfeltplus.com