Daycare and childcare providers in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Ontario etc. in CanadaGarderies à Montréal ou au QuébecFind daycare or childcare providers in the USA
Forum control
+ Reply to Thread
    Starting to feel at home...

How do you deal with a daycare centre in your neighborhood and how to compete

Last July, I closed my daycare due to a new daycare in my neighborhood taking a lot of the clients. I re-opened and have my daughter-in-law looking after one child until I have more clients. Today, I learnt that one of my families have two of their children in that daycare and I am presently watching their 13 months old. I was not happy, first of all they lied to me, they told me they were at another daycare. I would love to terminate them because I know they are just waiting for availability at the daycare centre. I have watched two of their kids and apparently the daycare centre is better than being with me and having all of the siblings together. They rather What are your thoughts?
    Last edited by pink; 02-12-2016 at 08:35 AM.

Euphoric !
    People will do what is best for them, sometimes that means not telling the truth. I always find it interesting when a family gives notice and say they finally got a call from the center that they have been waiting for. Hmmmmmm news to me (not what they said in their interview!)

Kids come and kids go, it's part of the job. I quit worrying about it. I do what I do and that is it. I can't compete with a center so not even going to try.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mickyc For This Useful Post:

I don't think one should see it as a competition. Daycare centres and home-based daycares are two very different things. There are pros and cons to both, and I find that once parents decide which they prefer, they tend not to sway from that decision (no matter how good the home-based daycare is). It's unfortunate that many parents whose end goal is to get their child into a centre feel that they have to hide the truth from home-based providers. But I get it. After all, I think that most providers on this board wouldn't accept a child into their care knowing that in a few months the child would be moving into a centre.

As a daycare provider, it sucks. But I don't think that there's any way to completely avoid it. We just have to remind ourselves that there are a lot of parents who prefer home-based daycares too and hope that eventually our spots will be filled with those families.

I have one that opened up in the school on my street. they take children 2.5 yrs and up. They have sent families to me if the child is too young for them or they don't have a spot.

Euphoric !
    They need daycare now for their child...they chose you. It may have only been until a space in a center is open but that is what it is. It does suck, but you currently have a client.

I think it is unprofessional to terminate them merely because they will eventually switch to a center. And, I do believe that in time word of mouth and reputation will come back to bite you for doing that.

There are never any guarantees as to how long a child will stay with us. The best you can do if you do not want families that only want short term care is to screen them out to the best of your abilities. Ask direct and indirect questions to attempt to figure out their long term plans. Keeping in mind that those plans will change in many ways (new job, move etc).

I will not be terminating their care until I find a suitable family. I do not appreciate being lied to they have disrespected by policies in the past and should a spot become available for them at the daycare and have not been with me for one year they will loose their deposit.

Euphoric !
    Long time ago, I was mad when client who in school start here in Jan and term in May when school year end. Her husband did interview, and assured me it long term placement which I always look for.
    Then I realized that they not told me she in university because I would not have take their child. And if that true from me, it likely true for other carer too. I think maybe they go to several dayhomes and were honest that it for 4 month and then they leave but need care again September and found out no one interested. Yes, it annoy that they not share information with me but if they being turned away, they need care for child and what option they have?

When child come now at 12 month, I always explain I look for long term and if they choose lie, then nothing I can do. I change policy so now call my deposit an enrollment fee, and for client who been here over a year, credit equal to enrollment fee applied to final week of care. Client who not here for year, not get any credit. That all I can do.

Expansive...
    Kids come, kids go at home daycares and at centres , I use to work at one and it is just part of the job .....it is nice when a parent is up- front about waiting for a daycare spot somewhere else but they don't have to

Euphoric !
    I always expect kids to be on a waiting list for a centre. The fees are cheaper so for most it just makes financial sense. I don't take it personally. If they left me for another hdc than I'd be hurt but if it's a centre, I know it's just a smart move for them. Cheaper rate, don't have to worry about provider closing due to illness or holiday etc